Hardy rods - what do you think?

Question and answers concerning makers and manufacturers of bamboo fly rods.

Moderator: Titelines

chevin
Guide

Post by chevin »

Hi all

Being based in the UK, not far from Alnwick, I thought I'd ask what you think about Hardy rods. I'm not really interested in their modern cane rods, but have a few from 1900 to 1960. Is there much interest in Hardy rods 'over there'? How do you think they rate, compared with US rods of the same era? Are there any Hardy fans on the forum?

Regards
David

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

David

As an angler raised on American cane I will speak for many others when I say that UK fly rods of that period are for many of us an acquired taste. No one has every suggested that Hardy has ever cheaped out on their finished products but I always knew I wasn't in Kansas anymore when I picked one up and wagged it. You can blame that on perception - in the hands of a different caster Hardy rods will do just fine but the contrast is often startling, with a few exceptions. The Marvel came as a surprise to me when I first cast it, not that many years ago (6?). Had the tiptops not been in view, and had the Alnwick markings been worn out I might have taken it for a rod made on this side. Nice stick, as they say in the old country, made all the nicer for not asking me to change my casting style to accommodate it; it seems very un-Hardy like to me. I won't deny my casting arm's prejudices, so you can blame it for the funny reactions.

Yes, there are definitely Hardy fans here and probably more than I would think. They don't dress differently so I have trouble picking them out but I'm confident one will come out of the closet shortly.

Boo.fiberglass
Guide

Post by Boo.fiberglass »

But, how are they different?

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

The Hardys that I handled, notably 1970's Palakonas, were soft in the middle and had stout tips. The result was a rod that felt 'clubby', particularly so compared to teh Orvis and Leonard rods on our rack in the store. But Hardy made quite a few rods, always handsomely detailed, and I'm sure they made some others (besides the Marvel) that might have suited me. Maybe some Yank Hardy owners can clue us in.
Last edited by jeffkn1 on 01/15/11 14:27, edited 1 time in total.

stlhdr1st
Guide

Post by stlhdr1st »

or split cane,as you prefer.i am guilty of owning hardy and p&ms.coming originally from that part of the world in the late sixties and then being dispatched back to hardy of pall mall a couple of years later with an order for no less than 13 marquis #7 multiplier reels for my new found canadian steelheader friends,i remember that era well!
getting back on topic.i own several hardy cane rods.my favourite being the 7 foot cc de france.this rod came in many variations from 61/2ft up to 7.my favourite being 6ft 8 5/8in.and made that way.picked up many a bargain with folks thinking"broken tip".these particular rods are a cannon and do not require a pro to cast.the 8 foot cc de france is also a very nice casting machine,however the older they get,they some how lose their "spring".the 9 footer??no thanks!bit of a wet noodle.the phantoms and hollokanas are vastly under rated in my opinion.i understand they were very expensive to produce on a production basis.the palakonas of the seventies are in my opinion rushed out as an after thought to the new found glass fibre.can not seem to keep one straight from this era.finally the marvel.lovely rod!hardy describe as their "lightest practical fly fishing rod in the world"era cat 1931.so jeff you cast a classic!!the older hardy twist lock ferrule type rods seem have little or no interest, as it is like casting something ridgid that has a couple of hinge points.which is the bestway i can explain .to conclude.there is an increasing interest in hardy bamboo rods in north america,but more of a collectible than a user tool .simply because,i believe,north american makers refined the tapers to beyond their time,and somewhere hardy got left behind .proof we are still using these same tapers today and so is hardy !Image

tackleman
Guide

Post by tackleman »

Also remember Hardy was selling most of their fly rods into the domestic market, and that market didn't have much access to river and stream environments. Sure the wealthy could afford chalk streams and salmon rivers, but the less wealthy were fishing lakes, reservoirs and poaching where they could. The fishing environments proscribed rod designs which meant longer rods throwing long lines with a team of flies on the end - doesn't sound much like the fishing in the northeast, mideast, Michigan, Montana, etc.
There are some wonderfull Hardy rod tapers but not many that fit what most people think of as the historic and current American flyfishing environment.

raleypc
Sport

Post by raleypc »

I really like the looks of Hardy rods, at least from the 30's throgh the early 60's.  I think their reel seats, grip shapes, full intermediate wraps, clear agate tips and stripper guides are just wonderful.  Looks are important factor to me in keeping a vintage cane rod for the long term.  For example, I just sold a South Bend 323 that I must say was the finest casting 8 1/2' 5 wt that I had ever owned...but ultimately I just could not get past that cheap reel seat.  All the Hardy's are fitted with first class hardware.  The trick for me is finding tapers that work for small streams and rivers in the mid-Atlantic area.  My current favorite is an 8' CC de France that is just a pleasure to cast.  It is a relatively fast action but easier and more forgiving to cast than some other "fast" rods that I have owned.  I just purchased and received, from an esteemed listmember, what is said to be a Marvel clone (by Walker Brampton) which is a lovely full flexing 4 wt.. Count me as a Hardy rod fan!

Paul R.

afgantrout
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by afgantrout »

ImageImage

Gentlemen, This Hardy Palakona "DeLuxe",  8'  3/2  5 WT  built in 1915 is one of my favorite rods.  It is quite different in action and appearance from the later production.  Fine tips, "full action" that you can feel through the grip, it has a slow casting stroke that I enjoy very much.  I think that Skues was not referring to this model when he compared his Leonard ("World's Greatest Rod" I think he called it) to the contemporary Hardys as "weaver's beams".  I have owned a C C de France (7') and loved its looks but I've never cared for short powerhouse rods...so, I let it go.

I recently wrote an article on the House of Hardy for Virginia Sportsman magazine and did a bit of research on the subject.  At the height of their game, Hardy was cataloging literally HUNDREDS of rod models.  With that kind of production, naturally there will be gems and there will be dogs. Image

blacknosedace
Guide

Post by blacknosedace »

Wow, Michael.  Those are gorgeous reels, especially the little bi-metal.
If thou hast not caught a trout, this world is to thee, as yet, a blank, existence is a dream. Go and weep. -- Thaddeus Norris

afgantrout
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by afgantrout »

Thanks, Blacknosedace.  I'm putting the finishing touches on an article I hope to get published in a rather prestigious publication. (don't want to jinx it!)  It's about my trout fishing experience in Afghanistan in the early '60s...and my fly of choice there was...the Black nose dace!  

blacknosedace
Guide

Post by blacknosedace »

Let me know if it shows in print.  I'd love to read it.
If thou hast not caught a trout, this world is to thee, as yet, a blank, existence is a dream. Go and weep. -- Thaddeus Norris

chevin
Guide

Post by chevin »

Wow! A very strange coincidence - I have a bi-metal reel that's similar, and I've never been able to find out about it. I also just sold a Hardy's De-Luxe to an enthusiast in Germany. My favourite Hardy package for small waters is a Phantom 6'10" #5 with a St George Junior. The reel only takes half a fly line, but that's more than enough for small stuff.

afgantrout
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by afgantrout »

Chevin, that's a handsome combination.  Is "chevin" the name for a roach or bream in French?

chevin
Guide

Post by chevin »

afgantrout wrote:Chevin, that's a handsome combination.  Is "chevin" the name for a roach or bream in French?
Ha ha! It's the old English for a chub. Do you know anything about your (our) bi-metal reel (s)? We appear to have twins, and I've never seen another or been able to track down the history.

Dylan
Guide

Post by Dylan »

Afgantrout,

I once owned that exact same bi-metal reel.
I too was always confounded as to the maker.

My best guess was Heaton?

Who knows?

Dylan

ubbi
Master Guide

Post by ubbi »

I have Hardys rods and being me an european it is normal , they have typical english action normally , i prefer the USA rods action...but the 1930 8' C.C.de France i have is an awesome casting machine my number 1 among the 8ers i have !! She is fast but not stiff you can reach long distances easily but still very sensitive . You have to try her guys !! You will be stunned !!

DukeAlum
Guide

Post by DukeAlum »

Gentlemen

I too am a Hardy fan. I have few of their rods and reels. My favorite lately seems to be a 7 footer Palakona for 4 weight.
I also love their Angel rod I have.
I find there is no difference in fishing here in the state compared  to Europe. Maybe there is a difference in attitude vs perception?
I have been to Europe, and our British friends have a much fonder love to the outdoors and fishing. A different persepctive so to say than here.
I feel Hardy makes beautiful gear. I love my Hardy Angel reels, and my older Hardy Perfect.My lightweights.
I also fish Granger/Divine/Heddon . These may feel more Northwest style, than catskill style. IMO.
A more subtle hearty style, than anything I have fished.
Again, I otherwise see no difference in the fishing.Except that Hardy makes beautiful gear. Some of it elegant.
And very good if not great service, support.
I have never had to use them at all.
Nice day friends
Nice day my friends

Jimmy,

Royalpark
Master Guide

Post by Royalpark »

I owned an 60's era 8ft, 7wt Palakona that was an absolute sling shot.

Caught my first Atlantic Salmon on it. One of the many I regret

parting company with.

Gillian

Post by Gillian »

I have read your post and I am hoping you can help me.
I need help to value 2 Vintage hardy brother rods. can you assist?

First one

Hardy brother. Palakona Length 14 ft 8 inch

3 sections , spare top section. nos 246936

Marked "special rod"

Width above cork handle 1 1/4 cm

pat nos 164137

Second

Hardy brothers. Gold medal rod.

rod length 122inch

Palakona . Spare top section.

British patent nos 196216

Have searched to try and find out value. Can anyone help??? Any assistance would be appreciated,.

RonT1
Master Guide

Post by RonT1 »

Here's my 1955, 7', 2/1, C.C. deFrance in action.   A "point n' shoot" pleasure to cast.
R
Side note to FFBill.....yes.   ha       ha!  Image
Spes Mea in Deo Est.

Return to “Information About Makers and Manufacturers”