Joe Bradley Rod Pics

Question and answers concerning makers and manufacturers of bamboo fly rods.

Moderator: Titelines

SecondHandWolf
Guide

Joe Bradley Rod Pics

Post by SecondHandWolf »

Would anyone be willing to post some pictures of a Joe Bradley rod that they own?

Many thanks,

Secondhandwolf

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Joe Bradley Rod Pics

Post by Flykuni3 »

Will prob see Joe this Sunday at Pasadena flyfishing show out here. Will take shots then.

His rods are not gaudy but subdued, actions around medium-fast and pleasant casting sticks. I've cast about eight of his models, from (I think) 7' to 7'9, with plastic and silk lines. They cast nicely.

Tim Anderson
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tim Anderson »

I don't have any pictures, but can confirm that Joe's rods look very nice and cast nicely, too. He makes progressive tapers, which have actions that Flykuni3 describes, and also builds nice parabolic rods. His website ( http://www.jlbradleybamboorods.com/index.html ) has pictures of his rods, particularly under "More pictures of interest." There you can see his usual wraps and such.

Tim

Boo
Master Guide

Post by Boo »

8o
Last edited by Boo on 03/05/12 21:00, edited 1 time in total.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Well I forgot to take pics. Cast many of Joe's sticks though and can report goodness. From 7' for a three to 8' for a four very nice. Altered parabolics in some cases; esp memorable, a successful 7'6 for a four Perfectionista.

Cast rods from Joe and R. Bolt, good stuffs.

Blue Waters
Guide

Post by Blue Waters »

Well, I would say any bamboo rod that Andre Puyans thought enough of to buy
a hundred examples, should be considered a pretty damn good rod!

:wave
"Say what you have to say, not what you ought. Any truth is better than make-believe."

- Henry David Thoreau

wctc1
Master Guide

Post by wctc1 »

If someone will remind me to take the cane boat rod and my camera to the Albany, Oregon fly fair this Friday I'll take a few clicks of Joe's rods and post them here ... provided he'll let me which he will because Joe is a great guy.

Yes, Andre sold many more than 100 of Joe's rods through Creative Sports in San Francisco's east bay. Condensed versions of Joe's entertaining stories of first encounters with Puyans are in the upcoming Gary Howells book.

Boo
Master Guide

Post by Boo »

2ndHand,

PM sent.

I've cast several of Joe's rods over the past 3+ years while at the Camp Sherman Bamboo Rod Fair [central Orgon] and at the NW Fly Tying Expo.
He says all his rods are his own tapers. I cast and looked looked over his rods side-by-side with several other rod makers in the past few years. Imo, his rods are more consistent in quality i.e. snug fitting, straight, and fine wraps, etc as any of the higher priced rods.
His rods aren't fancy but simply beautiful. His quality is as good as anyone's and he's been doing it a lot longer than most for less.
I think casting a rod to be more subjective and that is a personal choice but when it comes to the more objective quality of build I'd rank him high and I wouldn't hesitate to get another one of his rods. Hope this helps.

Carlin
Guide

Post by Carlin »

Joe and I did a rod swap a few years back and I was the proud recipient of an 8' 7wt based on a wonderful variation of a Para 15 taper that Joe does. I saw this post and since I was shooting a few other rods today I thought I'd take some shots of Joe's rod for those who want to see it. Enjoy!

Last edited by Carlin on 03/24/12 17:15, edited 1 time in total.

SideChannel
Master Guide

Post by SideChannel »

Beautiful rod and super pictures. Thanks Chris!

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Sweet . . . simple and beautiful!

Wyfish
Guide

Post by Wyfish »

Chris, you do fine work-- and take good pictures, too! And Joe, thanks for your contribution, too. (Ref another related posting.)

I really like Bradley's simple, straightforward style. I have a friend in Logan who has cast a couple of these rods and he was quite impressed with them.

Fishfreak911
Sport

Post by Fishfreak911 »

Joe's rods are simple elegance at its finest. He typically uses black ash burl seats, which are fantastic as nicely shown in Chris's pics. (Chris, you are a heckuva photographer! There is a thread in the photography section about how to shoot rods, and you should be in on that!)

Joe's also a great guy to boot, and doesn't ask for lot for his rods. I love how they cast too.
Greg<><
Creating the finest custom heirloom flyfishing nets on the planet is my passion!

http://www.Sierra-Nets.com

Return to “Information About Makers and Manufacturers”