G.L. Roller fly rods

Question and answers concerning makers and manufacturers of bamboo fly rods.

Moderator: Titelines

abingram
Master Guide

G.L. Roller fly rods

Post by abingram »

Just trying to find out information about this bamboo rod maker. I saw a Para 15 made by him on the classifieds and wanted to find more about his rods. Thanks for any info. Barry.

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: G.L. Roller fly rods

Post by canerodscom »

Hi Barry,

Gordon is one of my former students. He makes a very nice rod at a lower price. He works from his shop in SW Missouri where he is the maintenance superintendent at Roaring River park. Many of his rod are sold through Tim's Fly Shop in Cassville, MO.

I'd recommend his work without hesitation.

Harry Boyd

wb4tjh
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wb4tjh »

I've been in Gordon's workshop in Cassville, Mo., several times and he keeps busy making bamboo rods, both fly and spin, and repairing and rebuilding rods of all sorts his customers bring him. Gordon is very talented and is building a very nice rod at a very reasonable price. Recently, I was at Tim's Flyshop at Roaring River Trout Park, and had a chance to see a new rod Gordon recently made with a rattan grip. I must say, I was very impressed with the quality of the rod and the rattan grip. Gordon is a very warm and friendly gentleman and is making a very nice, well made rod at a very reasonable price, in my opinion. He's really dedicated to the craft. Bill Anderson, SW Missouri

wb4tjh
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wb4tjh »

UPDATE: He is now retired from Roaring River Trout Park and spending more time in his shop. Gordon's rod making skills have reached the point where his rods look and feel as good as anything on the market, in my opinion. I recently handled a couple of his 2 and 3 weight rods, and the tips are so fine it seems almost impossible that anyone could mill 6 strips of bamboo to such small tolerances. The prices are very reasonable, too. Gordon has done some work for me and his work is a good as any I have seen, anywhere. He's a good friend, and I would trust him with anything I own. You can contact him at : Gordon Roller, 417-665-9345, email: glroller3@yahoo.com

arfly
Guide

Post by arfly »

Gordon is a great guy and does good work. He is not real well known at this time, but I think that will change as time goes by.

Showme
Guide

Post by Showme »

I recently purchased an 8' 4wt hollow-built quad with a rattan grip from him and I agree he makes a great rod. He met me in Tim's shop so we could meet personally and discuss the rod.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

I had a chance to visit with rodmaker Gordon Roller yesterday.
He greeted me outside :

More to come...
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

To Mr Gordon Roller - You showed me more than just splitting cane.
A kind thank you - a tip of the cap.

Gordon attended school in Cassville, Missouri graduating from Cassville High School and later attained an associate degree from Grayson County College in Sherman, Texas. He lived in Dallas, Texas for twenty-two years and worked in the construction field. After returning to this area in 1996 he owned and operated G&S Heating and Air for five years, he then had the opportunity to work at Roaring River State Park, where he worked for several years. Gordon enjoyed fly fishing and fishing in general. Being very skilled with his hands, he built custom fly rods made of bamboo and sold them all over the United States, Italy, Canada and Germany. He also done custom leather work and built custom cabinets and furniture. He was a deacon for two years and a member of Community Faith Chapel in Cassville.

His obituary
https://www.fohnfuneralhome.com/obituary/gordon-roller
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

Chris Miller

Post by Chris Miller »

I am so lucky to have just acquired my first Roller rod. I feel so lucky to have this piece of cane from such a nice man. I have wanted one of his rods since meeting him at Tim's.

Return to “Information About Makers and Manufacturers”