taper favorites

The exchange of tapers forum is for classic and personally developed tapers. The definition of classic tapers are those tapers that were developed by rodmakers that are no longer alive. Please understand that rod makers who have developed their tapers, and are active in the community, should not have their tapers cloned, or shared, without their permission, please refrain for asking for those tapers as it infringes on the maker.

Moderator: pvansch1

sanderson

taper favorites

Post by sanderson »

What would everyone recommend for a taper on a first rod build?

perfesser
Guide

Re: taper favorites

Post by perfesser »

Last edited by perfesser on 07/01/20 15:31, edited 1 time in total.

henkverhaar
Master Guide

Post by henkverhaar »

Gillum 7042 as represented in RodDNA

PJ Julius
Sport

Post by PJ Julius »

I'd recommend a shorter rod. Less to plane, fewer guides to wrap. Look at the Paul Young Midge taper. It will make a terrific first rod, and give you confidence to make your NEXT rod! I favor the taper published in "The Lovely Reed".

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

I would recommend looking at what you fish for most and the size of the stream. The reason is, this being your first rod, will be a rod you will hang onto for a long time. If you fish small streams a lot, I would recommend the Garrison 193, 6'9", 3/4 wt. If you fish medium streams a lot - the Paul Young Perfectionist, 7'6", 4/5 wt. If you fish larger water, a Dickerson 8013, 8' 5wt. There are a lot of choices out there, but my advise would be to start with what you would use the most. A lot of people will make a 7'6", 5wt as an all around rod for their first. There are a ton of choices for that.

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

Canewrap wrote:
06/30/20 08:18
I would recommend looking at what you fish for most and the size of the stream. The reason is, this being your first rod, will be a rod you will hang onto for a long time. If you fish small streams a lot, I would recommend the Garrison 193, 6'9", 3/4 wt. If you fish medium streams a lot - the Paul Young Perfectionist, 7'6", 4/5 wt. If you fish larger water, a Dickerson 8013, 8' 5wt. There are a lot of choices out there, but my advise would be to start with what you would use the most. A lot of people will make a 7'6", 5wt as an all around rod for their first. There are a ton of choices for that.
There is an aweful lot of "sense" in this. Although, personally I would do a Payne 100 (4wt) instead of the Perfectionist :) Your answer to the first sentence is the key.

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

A first rod build:

A two piece solid built rod, because only one set of ferrules to fit.

A proven published taper, as one would find in The Garrison, Howells and/or Mauer books. (Plus buy the book to educate yourself).

A taper without any unusual jumps in the taper to ease form set up.

A rod taper that can meet most conditions one might come across on the streams they fish.

I personally think the suggestions of the Young Perfectionist, Dickerson 8013, Payne 101 or 102 meet these requirements.

Carl @ Wanigas Rod Company

Return to “Taper Exchange”