Seeking Recommendation for Sea-Run Cutthroat Taper

The exchange of tapers forum is for classic and personally developed tapers. The definition of classic tapers are those tapers that were developed by rodmakers that are no longer alive. Please understand that rod makers who have developed their tapers, and are active in the community, should not have their tapers cloned, or shared, without their permission, please refrain for asking for those tapers as it infringes on the maker.

Moderator: pvansch1

tapermaker
Master Guide

Re: Seeking Recommendation for Sea-Run Cutthroat Taper

Post by tapermaker »

thats the description of the rod i am currently making . A 9043 Granger w/ a fighting butt to switch cast a 210 grain shooting head. or when the backcast is free use a 5wt line and single hand cast. At 5 .25 total rod weight w/ ferrules its suitable for both .

Don Andersen
Master Guide

Post by Don Andersen »

Fcs wrote:Don,
I’d like to build a rod like that. I’m sure some others would too.

Frank

Edit: I see there is an 8'3" 6wt Bokstrom taper in Gould's Tips&Tapers book. Is this the one?

Hi,

I’ll check Rays book against what John gave me and post result.

Regards,

Don

Don Andersen
Master Guide

Post by Don Andersen »

Guys,

Just checked and the one I used and John’s are the same.
Hollowed out version that I modified is different.

Don

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Having done a lot of SRC fishing in the satl chuck I can say the following:

A switch/Spey taper rod is not a good choice - you are constantly sight casting in different directions 2 handers are terrible for this kind of fishing.

An aggressively hollowed 3-piece 9 to 9.5’ single hander for a 6 wt line is ideal. I would adapt a Granger 9660 or Powell B/C taper for this application.

In rivers a light trout Spey - say a 10.5’ 3 or 4 wt (equivalent to 6/7 wt single hand)- would be a good choice to complement the above rod for streamers / wets but not totally necessary. The single hander would be my go to for nymphing.

Under certain conditions - glassy water and no wind- an 8 or 8.5” 4 or 5 wt is a blast.

Remember the #1 rule of SRC fishing - keep the fly moving. Even in rivers they want the fly stripped on the swing. They aren’t steelhead.

An OPST is a good choice for river fishing but I wouldn’t want one in tidewater they are clunky and make a lot of surface disturbance. Maybe OK for searching on a windy day.

John

Return to “Taper Exchange”