Looking for taper suggestions 8ft-3in

The exchange of tapers forum is for classic and personally developed tapers. The definition of classic tapers are those tapers that were developed by rodmakers that are no longer alive. Please understand that rod makers who have developed their tapers, and are active in the community, should not have their tapers cloned, or shared, without their permission, please refrain for asking for those tapers as it infringes on the maker.

Moderator: pvansch1

dorenac
Master Guide

Looking for taper suggestions 8ft-3in

Post by dorenac »

Can I have some suggestions for an 8'-3" in either a 4wt or 5wt in 3-piece configuration? Have not found too much in my searches. Perhaps I'm not looking in the right place. But thanks for any ideas.

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Looking for taper suggestions 8ft-3in

Post by mer »

I've not heard of too many 8ft3in rods at all. Maybe a parabolic.
If you describe the desired characteristics someone may be able to tell you "shrink this rod" or "stretch that one"
Basically start with a 3pc Payne at 8ft or 8ft6in and tweak the length.

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

I have an 8'3" solid 5WT by Don Schroeder and also Chris Raines. Per Brandin, Jim Hidy, Marty Karstetter, Jim Reams, Leon Hanson,... all produce 8'3" rods in the 4 and 5 WT configuration as hollow rods, as I am sure many other current makers do also. Since these are existing makers, etiquette to many is not to publish their tapers. I also believe Winston made an 8'3" partially hollow 5 WT.

But I must note all of the above build in 2 piece configuration.

I am curious to see what comes up in this search.

Carl

RWHoffhines
Master Guide

Post by RWHoffhines »

If you're doing a 3pc, take an 8' taper you're comfortable with, add an inch to the butt, 1/2 to each end of the mid and one inch to the tip ferrule station. My guess it it'll turn out quite good. You might want to tweak the tip a bit, but it's something to start with...and could be a home run.

dorenac
Master Guide

Post by dorenac »

I am playing with the idea of building a series of rods this next year. Instead of 7ft, 7-1/2ft , 8ft, 8-1/2ft as is typically done I'm going with 6'9", 7'3", 7'9", and 8'3". Line weights aren't nailed down specifically yet, just something to add a little variation to the more common lengths.

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

Your second set of numbers is how I prefer to do it. I would add 6'3" to that list.

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

"I also believe Winston made an 8'3" partially hollow 5 WT." Yes, Doug Merrick made an 8'3" 5 wt.

Seems to me that Per Brandin started making 8'3" 4 and 5 wts. some time ago and other hollow builders like Reams, Karstetter, Hanson, Wojnicki and others followed with fine rods of their own. Also Cris Carpenter (3 wt) and Joe Bradley (5 wt.) have also made excellent 8'3" rods. Sweetgrass has made 8'3" 6 & 7 wts and can make lighter ones too. Masa Akaike of Japan has made an outstanding 8'3" 4wt. using Japanese bamboo. All of those have been 2 pc., but Wojnicki has a 3 pc. 6 wt. Obviously nothing magic about 8'3" and others have made 8'2" rods - Rolf Baginski (3 pc. 5 wt) and Peter McVey (2 pc. 5 wt.) - 8'4" E.C. Powell (2 pc. 5 wt) - 8'5" Mario Wojnicki (2pc. 5 wt.). European makers, who use metric sizes, make many 250 cm (8'2.5") rods. Lots of others too, I'm sure.

Many to compare if you can find examples to try.

dorenac
Master Guide

Post by dorenac »

RWHoffhines wrote:If you're doing a 3pc, take an 8' taper you're comfortable with, add an inch to the butt, 1/2 to each end of the mid and one inch to the tip ferrule station. My guess it it'll turn out quite good. You might want to tweak the tip a bit, but it's something to start with...and could be a home run.
Not being too sharp understanding tapers, what if I did just the opposite with an 8-1/2' taper as a second approach as well?

Grouse
Guide

Post by Grouse »

Curt Elder made an excellent 8' 3" hollow built five weight fly rod. A taper you may have difficulty finding but worth the search.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

I'd have to say that my Reams 8'3" 4 2/2 is one of my most favorite rods. I consider it the perfect "Ranch" rod (as in Harriman St. Park).

Return to “Taper Exchange”