Maurer rod - unidentifiable model

The exchange of tapers forum is for classic and personally developed tapers. The definition of classic tapers are those tapers that were developed by rodmakers that are no longer alive. Please understand that rod makers who have developed their tapers, and are active in the community, should not have their tapers cloned, or shared, without their permission, please refrain for asking for those tapers as it infringes on the maker.

Moderator: pvansch1

Bacchus_2
Guide

Maurer rod - unidentifiable model

Post by Bacchus_2 »

I have a George Maurer 8’ 3/2 from 1993 that is not marked with a model. I’m interested in seeing if this was a prototype for one of his later standards, more from curiosity than anything. I love the rod.

Absent buying Maurer’s rod building book (I’m not a builder so I wouldn’t have any other use for it), is there any other way to find the tapers he used or ‘identify’ the model? I was planning to mic the rod and compare my results with his tapers, but they’re eluding my searches...

Many thanks for your advice.

Don
There are times, I think, when a trout angler must prize what he catches with his eyes as much as what he firmly hooks. - H. Middleton

Fcs
Guide

Re: Maurer rod - unidentifiable model

Post by Fcs »

There are only 3 8ft rod tapers in Maurer & Elser: a Payne 102 (2pc); a Gillum 2pc and a a Young Para15 which is also a 2 piece. So I don't think your rod is in the book.
"Wherever the fish are, that's where we go."
Richard Wagner

Bacchus_2
Guide

Re: Maurer rod - unidentifiable model

Post by Bacchus_2 »

Fcs wrote:There are only 3 8ft rod tapers in Maurer & Elser: a Payne 102 (2pc); a Gillum 2pc and a a Young Para15 which is also a 2 piece. So I don't think your rod is in the book.
Thanks. Some of Maurer’s rods were based on the Young Para15 tapers, including his Rocky Mtn series of rods, so maybe the info would still help. I believe Maurer would make either 2 or 3 piece versions of his tapers, but I’m not certain...

Thanks again.

Don
There are times, I think, when a trout angler must prize what he catches with his eyes as much as what he firmly hooks. - H. Middleton

Return to “Taper Exchange”