Spinning rod taper wanted.

The exchange of tapers forum is for classic and personally developed tapers. The definition of classic tapers are those tapers that were developed by rodmakers that are no longer alive. Please understand that rod makers who have developed their tapers, and are active in the community, should not have their tapers cloned, or shared, without their permission, please refrain for asking for those tapers as it infringes on the maker.

Moderator: pvansch1

J Gustavsson
Master Guide

Spinning rod taper wanted.

Post by J Gustavsson »

Hello, I´m looking for a spinning rod taper with a quite fast action.. prefferably 7´ to 7´6"
It´s supposed to be used with small spinners in small creeks, fishing for sea trout.
I tried to convert a fly rod that was too much of a broomstick but it´s still not fast enough for tossing spinners ( to my taste)

Maybe I try to make my own taper but it would be helpful to have something to start with as a refference.
Last edited by J Gustavsson on 10/19/19 05:36, edited 1 time in total.

jan96
Master Guide

Re: Spinning rod taper wanted.

Post by jan96 »

Johan, in Rolf Baginski's book there are two spinning tapers...

r :)

J Gustavsson
Master Guide

Post by J Gustavsson »

Thanks Jan, Would you care to share those? I dont have the book.

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

The tapers in Dick Walker's 'Rod building for amateurs' are also pretty nice, depending on the required casting weight. These tapers, and the tapers that you can extrapolate from them, start at, say, 15 gram casting weight rods (roughly 1/2 ounce). If you need something significantly lighter (such as light, or ultralight spinning), you need to look elsewhere.

A light spinning taper (5'6") was published here, quite a while back. I've built two (a 2 pc and a 3 pc version) and can vouch for it. If you want ultralight spinning, you'll have to find one of the P&M telebolic BB tapers. For ultralight casting with longish rods, like we do for float fishing for coarse fish, a 7'6" 4 wt taper would work very well.

jan96
Master Guide

Post by jan96 »

25-30 years ago I fished a lot with my graphite spinning rods and Rapala like homemade wooden lures. Now I want to repeat this, make some lures and instead of graphite rod I would like to use one built from bamboo. What do you think of this taper from Rolf Baginski's book? It looks very powerful parabolic rod to me...
r:)

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

Here's a comparison between that Baginski 8 ft rod and Dick Walker's 6'6" heavy baitcaster (actually, as far as I'm aware, the taper itself was based on a taper published by Herter - Dick Walker just included it in his book as a nice baitcaster example):

That 6'6" baitcaster requires way more than 17 g to work effectively, and I would expect the same of that Baginski taper, especially with the added length. Looks like a bear to me ;-) I've built the 6'6" rod, as well as 2 different lightened versions and they do make nice medium to heavy spinning rods...

Lee Koch
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Lee Koch »

I can verify that that 6ft6taper requires at least an ounce (28g) of weight to work properly. Given that the top 50 inches or so of the 2 tapers are very similar, I doubt that this taper will cast 15g very well. :-)

jan96
Master Guide

Post by jan96 »

Thank you Henk and Lee. My graphite spinning rod was eight feet long so I was thinking to make one of equal length in bamboo. For casting 15grams lures... Maybe I should take 5-10°% off of that taper to make it less powerful?!..
r :)

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

Not sure about the actual amount to take off to arrive at a 15 g spinning/casting rod. I used RodDNA to convert the Dick Walker taper to lighter rods; more specifically, I made a 6 ft medium spinning rod that is about in that weight range - somewhere between 15 and 20 g max). It's not an 8 ft rod, but you could use the taper, and the comparison between it and the Baginski taper, as a reference point...
Just holler if you're interested.

Return to “Taper Exchange”