maurer taper , the professor

The exchange of tapers forum is for classic and personally developed tapers. The definition of classic tapers are those tapers that were developed by rodmakers that are no longer alive. Please understand that rod makers who have developed their tapers, and are active in the community, should not have their tapers cloned, or shared, without their permission, please refrain for asking for those tapers as it infringes on the maker.

Moderator: pvansch1

jimlucey
Guide

maurer taper , the professor

Post by jimlucey »

hi folks ,
this year at the canadian cane gathering i picked up some rod building supplies from a gentleman who was getting out of building rods . he gifted me some strips that he had begun working on and said he was intending to build " the professor " which i believe is a maurer taper . does anyone know where i can find the numbers for this rod and what "type " of rod this build would be ?
i am a newbie , in case you haven't already guessed .
thanks , jim

slw
Master Guide

Re: maurer taper , the professor

Post by slw »

Given the number of knowledgable Maurer fans here, I'm a little surprized no one's answered your questions. I can't, but there is this information from his old web site. Apparenly he made both progressive and "parabolic" rods, and there were apparently 2 versions of the Professor model.

https://sites.google.com/site/sweetwate ... od-choices

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Maurer passed away too soon for most.
I've yet to see & cast one myself and that's not going to be easy now...

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

As one can see from the previous catalog post, and as I remember, George made the Old Philosopher which was his derivation of the Paul Young Perfectionist. I have not heard of "The Professor", nor do any of the catalogs I have from George list such a taper. Could one suppose that there was a lost in translation issue and in fact one is speaking of the Old Philosopher? (As one can see slw, made this transition from catalog to post, so others may have also.)

Carl

jimlucey
Guide

Post by jimlucey »

carl otto wrote:As one can see from the previous catalog post, and as I remember, George made the Old Philosopher which was his derivation of the Paul Young Perfectionist. I have not heard of "The Professor", nor do any of the catalogs I have from George list such a taper. Could one suppose that there was a lost in translation issue and in fact one is speaking of the Old Philosopher? (As one can see slw, made this transition from catalog to post, so others may have also.)

Carl

that sounds like a reasonable explanation . i appreciate the help .
thanks , jim

rjhld

Re: maurer taper, the "Old professor"

Post by rjhld »

George Maurer's "Old Professor": I was a good friend and former student of George. I now have most of his old equipment in my shop along with my new gear. I have been away from rod making for a while and am back making rods again, Red Tail Bamboo Rods will be listed soon. The "Old Professor" was indeed a taper of George's. He gave me the taper and I made it in a solo class I had with him back in 1998. It is a 7'6" 5Wt medium fast action rod, speed 285 and is a combination as George told me of a Paul Young taper with George's modifications. It is built the way George built them, flamed cane with a swelled butt and his colors used for the wraps. At his request, "Old Professor" was not listed on the rod. I named it for a river with my name as maker. I have fished this rod for 20 years in many places in the US and Ireland. At this time I am not permitted to release the taper per family wishes. Side note. Many folks don't know, before George started making bamboo rods he wrapped fiberglass and Graphite rods for The Paul Young Rod Company. After Paul passed George visited the family and was grated permission to see, read and copy many of Pauli's personal papers about his rods and tapers.
We miss you George. Robert Hickey

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

George Maurer was born in 1949, and Paul Young died in 1960. George was more precocious than we knew!

SamNielson
Guide

Post by SamNielson »

Not to be pushy, but do you know more about the family's wishes with George's tapers? I have wondered for quite some time. If memory serves someone was considering reproducing his tapers as a venture.
Thanks

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

Wyatt Dietrich (Dream Catcher Fly Rods) was a student and friend of George's, and made a memory series of rods under a permission from his daughters. I am fortunate to have one of them. Wyatt retired from rodmaking in 2014. He cannot and will not release George's tapers, something I hope all will respect.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

NedZeppelin
Guide

Post by NedZeppelin »

I have three of Wyatt's builds from early 2000s and very sorry to hear I missed the Memory Series! I thought he retired to a more economically productive life, maybe this was just a special batch for old times sake. Would have been interested. But can't buy every rod!

Return to “Taper Exchange”