8' 8 weight taper suggestions

The exchange of tapers forum is for classic and personally developed tapers. The definition of classic tapers are those tapers that were developed by rodmakers that are no longer alive. Please understand that rod makers who have developed their tapers, and are active in the community, should not have their tapers cloned, or shared, without their permission, please refrain for asking for those tapers as it infringes on the maker.

Moderator: pvansch1

Livingstone
Master Guide

8' 8 weight taper suggestions

Post by Livingstone »

I have a request for an 8' 8wt. Normally build trout tapers so this is out of my realm, so need help. Thanks, Livingstone.

albertatroutguy
Sport

Re: 8' 8 weight taper suggestions

Post by albertatroutguy »

PHY Texas General might be a good choice. There's an 8 foot version of this rod. Note the 8' taper has a transposed number on the butt section. I've built the 8 foot and 9 foot version this winter but haven't had much of a chance to fish them much. They both seem pretty good at chucking streamers. I think line selection for this rod plays a big role in how much you may like or not like it

RWHoffhines
Master Guide

Re: 8' 8 weight taper suggestions

Post by RWHoffhines »

A real "bat" eh? That PHY TX Gen sounds like it would have potential, a parabolic butt might make a reasonably pleasant rod in that format. If you could go down to a 7wt, there are a few Dickerson tapers that could come into play.

Return to “Taper Exchange”