taper favorites

The exchange of tapers forum is for classic and personally developed tapers. The definition of classic tapers are those tapers that were developed by rodmakers that are no longer alive. Please understand that rod makers who have developed their tapers, and are active in the community, should not have their tapers cloned, or shared, without their permission, please refrain for asking for those tapers as it infringes on the maker.

Moderator: pvansch1

sanderson
Guide

Re: taper favorites

Post by sanderson »

had the opportunity to photograph my first fish, 16" rainbow, caught with my first rod build. Based on a Dickerson 7613 taper, 1952 version. Very memorable. Just finishing up rod #2, a PHY perfectionist, taper from the Mauer book.

kermit
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kermit »

That's what its all about.

When I grab a rod off the rack for fishing, it's generally my D7613 taper rod. Its the second rod I made. My first rod ever made was a Perfectionist, but it met with an accident.
Zia Rods Brochure
www.ziarods.com

sanderson
Guide

Post by sanderson »

Interesting, Kermit. My second is a perfectionist. Don't suppose your 3rd is a payne 100, lol. that's my current project, building for a friend.

kermit
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kermit »

My 3rd was another Perfectionist taper, but hollow.
Zia Rods Brochure
www.ziarods.com

sanderson
Guide

Post by sanderson »

....a few pics of ongoing builds, including a couple ice fishing rods using some vintage hardware from Russ at GW. I'm finishing up rod #7 (goal was to complete a 1st rod by Christmas) a 7wt. big fish float tube streamer and popper rod, based off a Dickerson 8015 taper. Many thanks to those who toss around their tips, tricks, and knowledge. it's flattened the learning curve immensely. Thanks!

wiesent
Sport

Post by wiesent »

sanderson wrote:
09/27/20 11:55
had the opportunity to photograph my first fish, 16" rainbow, caught with my first rod build. Based on a Dickerson 7613 taper, 1952 version. Very memorable. Just finishing up rod #2, a PHY perfectionist, taper from the Mauer book.
What do you think of the Perfectionist taper from Maurer? Are you satisfied with it? I just found after some research really many different tapers of the PHY Perfectionist.

sanderson
Guide

Post by sanderson »

What do you think of the Perfectionist taper from Maurer? Are you satisfied with it? I just found after some research really many different tapers of the PHY Perfectionist.

I have to admit, I'd spent 30 years casting graphite, so when I began building bamboo, I was prepared for a difference. Boy was there! While my first, the D7613, was an enjoyable rod to cast, that perfectionist taper led me to believe I forgot how to cast. I really can't answer your question, I've not cast enough parabolic type rods to give feedback, though lawn casting, I'd say the perfectionist is the least loved of the 8 rods I've built. favorite so far is a Payne 98, of which I'm on a second version, waiting on a dickerson style ferrule from T Young. (first one I used a SS)

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

Sanderson, this may be a stupid question, but did you try different lines on the Perfectionist? It was a lukewarm taper for me, even with the right line, but my son liked it.

wiesent
Sport

Post by wiesent »

I finally got a Perfectionist Clone last week. The rod was built by a well-known forum member. Whether the rod was built according to Maurer or someone else, I unfortunately do not know. I only know that it is a super good rod for me.

sanderson
Guide

Post by sanderson »

I tossed a 4 wf and 5 wf lawn casting the Perfectionist. I'll get a little more serious working with it this spring. it's probably more my casting feel/memory than the taper.

jan96
Master Guide

Post by jan96 »

wiesent wrote:
01/26/21 07:56
I finally got a Perfectionist Clone last week. The rod was built by a well-known forum member. Whether the rod was built according to Maurer or someone else, I unfortunately do not know. I only know that it is a super good rod for me.
You may ask the maker which taper did he use.. To me the best version is from Ron Barch, it's a bit heavier and faster(#4/5 wt line) than the taper from Cattanach's book(#4 wt). I'll check which version is in Maurer's book..
r :)

jan96
Master Guide

Post by jan96 »

Here are the tapers for Perfectionist. Cattanach and Maurer list the same numbers.
r :)

Return to “Taper Exchange”