Hexrod Winston 7'6" 4wt

The exchange of tapers forum is for classic and personally developed tapers. The definition of classic tapers are those tapers that were developed by rodmakers that are no longer alive. Please understand that rod makers who have developed their tapers, and are active in the community, should not have their tapers cloned, or shared, without their permission, please refrain for asking for those tapers as it infringes on the maker.

Moderator: pvansch1

Boise Bamboo
Guide

Hexrod Winston 7'6" 4wt

Post by Boise Bamboo »

Has anyone built the taper listed as a Winston 7'6" 4wt in Hexrod?

I do not know or care if it is actually a Winston taper or not, but am getting ready to start my final planing on it and am curious as to any comments or experiences with the taper. Thanks
Last edited by Boise Bamboo on 07/27/20 10:47, edited 1 time in total.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Hexrod Winston 7'6" 4wt

Post by PYochim »

I wouldn't be publicizing it.

Boise Bamboo
Guide

Post by Boise Bamboo »

Not sure why someone would not publicize that they had made a taper from a very popular repository of tapers that is frequently referenced, but I will ask the question a different way...
Can anyone describe the action of a Winston rod made in the mid-60's? My understanding is that most if not all of the tapers were modified after Tom Morgan took ownership. Thanks

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

Looking at this taper, expect it to be a smooth medium action rod that rollcasts real nice.
Last edited by Canewrap on 11/25/20 20:22, edited 1 time in total.

Scyanks

Post by Scyanks »

I have made a couple of these and they are sweet rods (to my casting!) Very good rod for our NC Mountain streams.

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

Canewrap: "expect it to be a smooth medium action rod that rollcasts real nice"

I've cast the model made by Doug Merrick and the quote above describes the rod very well. I didn't have much occasion to roll cast it, but with a butt that bends well, I'm sure it would be a very good roll caster for a rod of that length. It's a very sweet rod.

Boise Bamboo
Guide

Post by Boise Bamboo »

Thanks, all. I am putting the final coat of varnish on the wraps now, so will be able to report out shortly. Appreciate the feedback.
Don

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

A question--why does a taper published in Hexrod necessarily make it 'public property' instead of possibly recognizing proprietary ownership by a company still in business, e.g. Winston?

I'm just curious...

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Flyman615 wrote:
11/25/20 18:35
A question--why does a taper published in Hexrod necessarily make it 'public property' instead of possibly recognizing proprietary ownership by a company still in business, e.g. Winston?

I'm just curious...

Scott
+ 1K X3

Return to “Taper Exchange”