Looking for 7´5wt 3pc taper

The exchange of tapers forum is for classic and personally developed tapers. The definition of classic tapers are those tapers that were developed by rodmakers that are no longer alive. Please understand that rod makers who have developed their tapers, and are active in the community, should not have their tapers cloned, or shared, without their permission, please refrain for asking for those tapers as it infringes on the maker.

Moderator: pvansch1

Bobby Marlene
Sport

Looking for 7´5wt 3pc taper

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Hello, I want to build a rod for my son who is 11 years old and started fly fishing this year. I am looking for a 7 foot taper in 5 wt. I think it is easier for him to cast with a slightly heavier line. I know there are several tapers in 7 1/2 foot but that would be quite a long rod for him. We are going to travel to Montana next year so a 3 piece taper would be great for air travel. Thanks for your suggestions, best wishes from little Belgium, Bobby

joep
Master Guide

Re: Looking for 7´5wt 3pc taper

Post by joep »

Look for the 7' Gillum taper. It is a 4/5 supposedly, but to me it was a fast 5. Should be a good rod to teach a kid on and has enough backbone to handle some decent sized fish. It is published in the Lovely Reed and i think is on this site.

Bobby Marlene
Sport

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Thank you joep. I will look at that taper. Bobby

troutnut
Master Guide

Post by troutnut »

I agree with joep about the 7' Gillium it likes a 5 wt.
Fred

Ron Barch
Guide

Post by Ron Barch »

I would make the Garrison 202E as a 3 pc rod.....Easy to switch to 3 pc. design once you take a close look at the numbers. Also the 3 pc would quicken the action. BUT...one never goes wrong with a Gillum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ron

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

Bobby Marlene wrote:
09/28/20 10:01
Hello, I want to build a rod for my son who is 11 years old and started fly fishing this year. I am looking for a 7 foot taper in 5 wt. I think it is easier for him to cast with a slightly heavier line. I know there are several tapers in 7 1/2 foot but that would be quite a long rod for him. We are going to travel to Montana next year so a 3 piece taper would be great for air travel. Thanks for your suggestions, best wishes from little Belgium, Bobby
You really should consider a rod of *at least* 7 1/2 foot, probably 8 foot. The longer a rod is, the easier it is to learn line control. The shorter you are, the longer the rod you should have.

The Leonard 50 DF is a great 8' 3 piece 5 weight taper; it can be found in one of the public Hexrod taper archives.
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

+1, I started my son when he was 11 on a 7.5' 5/6wt for general use.

Bobby Marlene
Sport

Post by Bobby Marlene »

samsonboi wrote:
09/29/20 20:20
Bobby Marlene wrote:
09/28/20 10:01
You really should consider a rod of *at least* 7 1/2 foot, probably 8 foot. The longer a rod is, the easier it is to learn line control. The shorter you are, the longer the rod you should have.

The Leonard 50 DF is a great 8' 3 piece 5 weight taper; it can be found in one of the public Hexrod taper archives.
Thank you. That´s probably right. I have a 7 1/2 foot 5 wt rod. I will let him cast that one. That would give me much more taper options, too.
Thanks all for your help, very much appreciated. Best wishes from little Belgium, Bobby

Lee Koch
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Lee Koch »

That Gillum rod mentioned above is a nice, fast 5wt.

Return to “Taper Exchange”