Cattanach 7042 Sir "D" question...

The exchange of tapers forum is for classic and personally developed tapers. The definition of classic tapers are those tapers that were developed by rodmakers that are no longer alive. Please understand that rod makers who have developed their tapers, and are active in the community, should not have their tapers cloned, or shared, without their permission, please refrain for asking for those tapers as it infringes on the maker.

Moderator: pvansch1

japhy0508
Sport

Cattanach 7042 Sir "D" question...

Post by japhy0508 »

Hi Everyone,

Think I've settled on the 7042 Sir "D" as my next blank to build up. One thing that caught my attention is that the hinge seems to peak at station 55". The interesting thing is based on average stripping guide placement, it tends to sit pretty much on this hinge. For those with experience with this taper, do you modify where guides go a touch in order to get the hinge out from under the stiffest guide on a typical rod?

Thanks so much for any info you can provide.

I checked the 7642 Sir "D" as well and it appears to be the same, so perhaps there is a design intent?

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Cattanach 7042 Sir "D" question...

Post by Canewrap »

I think you'll find you really only need 26" from the stripper to the butt of the reelseat. This would effectively put the hinge 3 inches ahead of the stripping guide.

japhy0508
Sport

Post by japhy0508 »

Thanks Canewrap....that was what I was thinking of doing...most of the rods I have built are in the 28"ish range, but 26" will not feel cramped. It is interesting that as you move up to the 7642 Sir "D", the relationship is maintained...ie hinge in about the same place most people would use as a starting point.

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

japhy0508, you would be surprised how many rodmakers do not understand the concept of a hinge. Having a hinge in a taper has always pretty much had a negative connotation. We need to come up with a different term for it, since it is really not a hinge per se, but rather just a slowing of taper increase that makes that section a little flatter than the cane in front of it or behind it, maybe call it a taper pause. The kind of hinge that is bad is the one that is actually a regression that robs the rod of power or a sudden increase in taper that stops the action well before the 2/3rds point and makes the rod feel like a club. I have been experimenting with the deliberate "hinge", like the one in the Cattanach taper and it is a really useful way to take a fast action taper and give it a wider range of useful fishing distance.

japhy0508
Sport

Post by japhy0508 »

Hi Canewrap.....I totally agree with you. I recognize well that it's just a temporary decrease in rate of change in flat to flat distance to slightly aid in roll casting. Hinge is convenient, but likely not the the best term to use. I'm excited to give this taper a try.

Return to “Taper Exchange”