RodDNA download issue

The exchange of tapers forum is for classic and personally developed tapers. The definition of classic tapers are those tapers that were developed by rodmakers that are no longer alive. Please understand that rod makers who have developed their tapers, and are active in the community, should not have their tapers cloned, or shared, without their permission, please refrain for asking for those tapers as it infringes on the maker.

Moderator: pvansch1

dorenac
Master Guide

RodDNA download issue

Post by dorenac »

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer about computers. After a recent cross country move and having a computer melt down after moving I lost all my RodDNA info. So I'm starting from scratch. Bummer! In attempting to download the 2.0 version my Dell laptop keeps blocking the download because "this type of file can harm your device." I will also mention that I just downloaded a malware program earlier today. Any ideas?

Thanks

dorenac
Master Guide

Re: RodDNA download issue

Post by dorenac »

So I went ahead and downloaded the 2.0 version anyway but for some reason can’t open it. I’ve contacted High Sierra but have received no response. Has anyone else had difficulty accessing this program?

ShenRods
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ShenRods »

When you download RodDNA, Larry tells you on the website that you must have Java Run Time Environment installed - it is different than just plain JAVA. - That software is a free download and as soon as you do that RodDNA runs just fine.

https://java-runtime-environment.en.sof ... m/download

Chris

dorenac
Master Guide

Post by dorenac »

Hey Chris,
This program still mystifies me. As you suggested I installed Java Runtime Environ v.1.8. Still can't open RodDNA. I asked a couple fairly good computer people to try and they are having the same results. One of the "experts" is my sister who ran computer systems for a large corporation and she's baffled. Says there's something on Google if she can find it that might help. And no work from Larry. Any further thoughts?
Thanks,
Rich

kermit
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kermit »

This is how it works for me. When I access RoddDNA it takes awhile (a few minutes) for it to respond. When it comes on line it opens a small window that prompts attempting to connect, unable to connect, warning could not connect, attempting to connect, then "bingo" it will come on line and a small window will open. Click on Modules then Models and wait for it to respond. A larger window will open up on top of the other two smaller windows. I can't get the last larger window to get any bigger so I just scroll down to my rod make and model that I'm interested in. Once on your rod model go to PRINT and print out the planing form report or MHM setting report, etc.
Zia Rods Brochure
www.ziarods.com

dorenac
Master Guide

Post by dorenac »

Kermit, you describe how it used to work on my old desktop. That was version 1.4. That computer died right after we moved out West, and most everything was extracted onto thumb drive. Then I bought a new laptop and although I moved 1.4 from the thumb drive to the laptop it wouldn’t open on the laptop. So I tried the current version 2.0 download to the laptop as well as Java Runtime Environment. Still can’t open anything. It’s a real conundrum and frustrating.

dorenac
Master Guide

Post by dorenac »

Is Hexrod easier to use and can I generate a get a MHM planing settings report from it?

BGreer
Master Guide

Post by BGreer »

FWIW, after reading this thread, my RodDNA acts/acted just like Kermits.

I looked and it was version 1.4 I went and downloaded the 2.0 version from the High Sierra website and installed it.
Everything worked just fine. RodDNA ran and I was able to open the Modules just fine.
I think it has to do with the JAVA Run Time Environment that Chris was talking about.

Brian

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

dorenac wrote:
11/12/20 07:54
Is Hexrod easier to use and can I generate a get a MHM planing settings report from it?
No - but that is my personal opinion, others may disagree - and yes.

Note that a] the current version of RodDNA (2.0) doesn't require net access anymore, and therefore also lauches way faster, and
b] if you're prepared to pay for the non-free version (RodDNA Designer) operation is much smoother, and there are added benefits (there are also omissions though, as far as I am aware - Designer has no separate database for actual rods made/sold)...

Return to “Taper Exchange”