2pc 5wt

The exchange of tapers forum is for classic and personally developed tapers. The definition of classic tapers are those tapers that were developed by rodmakers that are no longer alive. Please understand that rod makers who have developed their tapers, and are active in the community, should not have their tapers cloned, or shared, without their permission, please refrain for asking for those tapers as it infringes on the maker.

Moderator: pvansch1

Teborods
Guide

2pc 5wt

Post by Teborods »

Morning gentlemen. I’m in the market for a quick 2 pc 5wt taper. I haven’t made a 5wt at this time so I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts. Thank you and be safe Tebo

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: 2pc 5wt

Post by Canewrap »

I would look at the Dickerson 7613. I prefer the 1970 taper out of the Lovely Reed. It is a fast rod (for bamboo) and has swelled butt, but is a sweet, sweet rod.

DonT
Master Guide

Post by DonT »

Or 8013
Don Titterington
Desert Canyon Rods
West Linn, OR
Repairs/Renovations
Custom Builds

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

7613: if one looks closely there are 4 different "official" tapers for this rod. In fact, Bill Abrams (Housatonic Rods) used to make a 4 tipped version, kind of like a PHY Para 15 with a wet and dry tip. I had one for a bit, going by memory, the lightest tip was more of a fast 4wt for me, the heaviest a slow 6wt (again for me). But they would all work just fine with a 5wt. The Lovely Reed shows 2 different tips, other sources (Ray Gould, Maurer) you could come up with the other 2.

The 8013 is another good rod for a 5wt. Again, the Lovely Reed I think may have 2 different tapers for a tip.

You say "quick" so that rules out Paynes. There may be a Gillum or Garrison that is suitable.

mrampant
Master Guide

Post by mrampant »

I made the D7613 and also hollowed a version; that was an eyeopener to what cane could do. I use that one foe saltwater bream fishing an excellent point and shoot fast action rod. I will make another with bamboo ferrules for greater saltwater resistance.
Cheers Mark
He who shall not be able to make a trout fly, after studying these diagrams and directions, must be deficient either in brains or in manual dexterity. : Edward Fitzgibbon 1853

Teborods
Guide

Post by Teborods »

Thank you Gentlemen on the advise. Great stuff as always. I’m on it. Thanks again. Tebo

Teborods
Guide

Post by Teborods »

Afternoon gentleman. Setting my forms up for the D7613 and was wondering about the swell. never done a swell before, and can it be done on a regular set form? If I was to do this without the swell what be the best approach. Thank you for your time and be safe Tebo

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

The swell. I've not made a rod, so I'm only going by what the books say/show, but there should be enough flexibility in a set of forms to set the swell. Short abrupt swells may be harder than longer more gradual ones.
Don't forget that you can slide the strips around on the forms too: that means you could set the swell in the very end of the butt form, slide the strip down, plane it, then slide back into position to do the rest of the taper.
Kind of like they did long time ago with "shooting boards" for the tapers.

Of course others may have better advice (jan96 posted some of his experiments with swells not long ago, I think he'd be a good person to ask).

mrampant
Master Guide

Post by mrampant »

I sort of did what mer says, although I made my forms from aluminium and they would flex a lot more than steel. I have used the "shooting board method to create an exaugurated swell.
I have found that any sudden increase in taper works as a flex stopper just the extent of the swell makes the stop really good or ok, the cork is an assistance with the swell.
Cheers,
Mark
He who shall not be able to make a trout fly, after studying these diagrams and directions, must be deficient either in brains or in manual dexterity. : Edward Fitzgibbon 1853

Teborods
Guide

Post by Teborods »

This swell sits right between both adjustment screws on my forms, so 5 inches exactly. Planing a test strip as normal to see what the numbers say. Can that work like that or is my approach all wrong? The difference in numbers is .23. My though was to divide the numbers in half at the swell and hit the number in the center and work my way out in both directions. My appreciated advise as always . Tebo

mrampant
Master Guide

Post by mrampant »

I found the if you have 5 inch set of numbers and with a sudden increase over 1 set check the others a second time or even third. As I found on my forms that the sudden increase causes a bow in the form and may affect the other station points. They may require to be let out or tightened to allow the "normal " flow of the finished strip.
I hope this makes sense.
Cheers,
Mark

Teborods
Guide

Post by Teborods »

Thank you again for all the advise. I’ll give an update on how things turned out. Thank you all again. Tebo

sanderson
Guide

Post by sanderson »

I did the 7613 as my first rod, on regular planing form, and had no issues.

Teborods
Guide

Post by Teborods »

Ok, Follow up. I made both 7613 version, 1952 and 1970 with swells. over wrapped the swelled section as a precaution. glued up with Endfast 300. all came out ok. thank you gentlemen the suggestion, looking forward to fishing them. Tebo

mrampant
Master Guide

Post by mrampant »

Good to hear that it all came out fine. If you hollowed them, it is surprising how quick the rod becomes.
Cheers,
Mark

Teborods
Guide

Post by Teborods »

Hollowing is next on my list. Thanks again tebo

Teborods
Guide

Post by Teborods »

Afternoon gentlemen. I was wondering if there is any info on the guide spacing for the 7613 5wt and is it different from 1952 to the 1970? haven't located anything at this time. still looking. thank you Tebo

sanderson
Guide

Post by sanderson »

The numbers from the spacing charts in the Lovely Reed worked fine for my 7613, I've not seen posted any other numbers for this rod.

Return to “Taper Exchange”