Walter Brunner GEBETSROITHER Super help !

The exchange of tapers forum is for classic and personally developed tapers. The definition of classic tapers are those tapers that were developed by rodmakers that are no longer alive. Please understand that rod makers who have developed their tapers, and are active in the community, should not have their tapers cloned, or shared, without their permission, please refrain for asking for those tapers as it infringes on the maker.

Moderator: pvansch1

alejandro gatti

Walter Brunner GEBETSROITHER Super help !

Post by alejandro gatti »

Hello everyone, I am interested in building a Brunner taper, the GEBETSROITHER Super, but the reference I find on the web I think is incomplete, since it is a 2 meter rod, or 78 inches, but the diagram is presented only up to 65 inches, does anyone have the complete diagram that they can provide me, thank you all.

Best regards.

Alejandro.

Tim Anderson
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Walter Brunner GEBETSROITHER Super help !

Post by Tim Anderson »

A graph of the taper shows that the section close to the butt is a perfectly straight taper. Attached below is a table with a simple straight-line extension out to the total rod length of 78.75 inches. The accompanying graph is self explanatory. In reality, it is unlikely that the blank continues to get bigger under the grip and reelseat.

Tim

Imagescreen shot on a pc

alejandro gatti

Tim Anderson wrote:
02/03/21 20:45
A graph of the taper shows that the section close to the butt is a perfectly straight taper. Attached below is a table with a simple straight-line extension out to the total rod length of 78.75 inches. The accompanying graph is self explanatory. In reality, it is unlikely that the blank continues to get bigger under the grip and reelseat.

Tim

Imagescreen shot on a pc
Thanks Tim! I thought the same about following the conicity continuously until completing the total length, your graph gives me a great help.

Thanks again!

best regards.

Alejandro

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

The IBRA sheet also states that stations 60 and 65 are (already) under the handle... handle is 24 cm (cork plus reel seat)... 2 different length sections, tip 122 cm, butt 80 cm...

Still doesn't really add up though...

Also note that the Gebetsroither taper is a broomstick, designed for a very specific style of casting...

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

You're not kidding Henk! :)
Cast one many years ago
henkverhaar wrote:
02/04/21 03:28
Also note that the Gebetsroither taper is a broomstick, designed for a very specific style of casting...

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

ibookje wrote:
02/04/21 05:30
You're not kidding Henk! :)
Cast one many years ago
Want me to make you one ;-)

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

We can always use it as a plug rod! :D

alejandro gatti

henkverhaar wrote:
02/04/21 03:28

I appreciate your opinion. I usually use fast rods in my work as a guide and I really don't get on very well with slow rods, which is why I settled on this design. :D

thanks.

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

It's actually not really a fast rod, at least not within my understanding of what makes a fast rod. Here's a deflection chart of the taper:

It's more of a progressive taper. The load to have it bend over 1/3 its length (all within the simulation model of course) is 0.475 lbs, which, in my empirical system translates to a casting weight of about 11 grams. Which fits with one of my spinning rod tapers, that has an almost identical taper and casts nicely (in actual practice) with 10 grams. 11 grams would make it a solid #7, in my book. Which would explain why it would 'broomstick' with a #5 - or rather why it would be suitable to cast a #5 using the Gebetsroither style of casting. I bet it would also fit the TLT style by Roberto Pragliola.

jan96
Master Guide

Post by jan96 »

Ron Barch
Guide

Post by Ron Barch »

Issues # 74,110 & 144 Of the Planing Form Newsletter has some info on Brunner rod tapers. Ron Barch

Caenis1971

Post by Caenis1971 »

Before having the great fortune to become friends with Hans Gebetsroither around 1980, I thought of rod actions like this as broomsticks as well. There was a couple of other expert anglers I had known who used them to my surprise; Ernie Maltz from New York and Vince Marinaro from Carlisle, Pa. Both fished an 8 foot rod. Back in the day I was a salesman at Wm Mills & Sons in NYC, whom many of you know was the agent for Leonard Rods. I never fished with Ernie but talked to him often in the store. One day he came in to purchase a new 8 foot Leonard. He went through about 9 rods that we had in stock and picked out the broomstick of the bunch. At the time semi parabolic tapers had become the most popular and that rod was like a dry fly action with a super stiff tip. I joked about his choice, not knowing yet that Ernie was possibly the finest angler on the Beaverkill where he spent most of the summer, outfishing many a famous name and competition champion. Ernie and Vince Marinaro had one thing in particular in common. They both used stop casts to get longer drag free floats over difficult fish; Ernie on Beaverkill pocket water with super long Iippets, Vince on the Letort and Yellow Breeches chalkstreams where I fished with him for a week yearly before getting married. So both of these superlative anglers liked these “broomsticks” precisely because they gave them excellent line control in the air.

Before meeting Hans, I never could cast effectively further that about half of the fly line. After one session and a few weeks practice my casting distance was extended over 20 yards. I cast with greater ease than ever and could throw 27 yards of line fairly accurately with 3 false casts…….with a 6’ “broomstick” by the way, a rod I wouldn’t even have looked at 10 years before.

Return to “Taper Exchange”