Taper request - George Maurer's "Queen of Waters"

The exchange of tapers forum is for classic and personally developed tapers. The definition of classic tapers are those tapers that were developed by rodmakers that are no longer alive. Please understand that rod makers who have developed their tapers, and are active in the community, should not have their tapers cloned, or shared, without their permission, please refrain for asking for those tapers as it infringes on the maker.

Moderator: pvansch1

aboehm

Taper request - George Maurer's "Queen of Waters"

Post by aboehm »

I'm trying to find the taper for George Maurer's "Queen of Waters," which is an 8-ft, 4-wt, 2-piece rod. If anyone has the taper or can mic it, I'd greatly appreciate it if you could post it or send it to me in a private message.

George passed away in 2008, so I don't think there's any violation of forum etiquette in sharing the taper. However, I don't know if his heirs have (or anyone else has) a proprietorial interest in this taper or any other of his original tapers. If that's the case, I apologize and, of course, I'd ask that the taper not be shared.

Thanks.

ab

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Taper request - George Maurer's "Queen of Waters"

Post by ibookje »

I think his daughter has George's workshop?
Maybe she will provide with the info

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

Wyatt Dietrich (DreamCatcher Rods) built some Memory series Maurer rods under agreement with his daughters. When I asked him about that taper for a friend he advised that they were not available. I would not search out and bother the family out of respect based upon what Wyatt told me.

I cast a friend's Queen of Waters years ago and it was an amazing rod.

I have never had the chance to look through George's rod building book, though I was under the impression that some tapers were included. Perhaps someone here has the book and can answer that question.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

I checked the book. No Queen of the Water

jan96
Master Guide

Post by jan96 »

In the "Maurer & Elser" book there are listed quite some classic tapers from F.E.Thomas, Payne,Granger, Young, Gillum... There are also three "no name" tapers - 6'6''#4(page 229), 7'6''#5(page 235), 7'9''#5(page 242). I think Don Andersen said that the first is one of his but what about the other two? Are these George Maurer's tapers?

Return to “Taper Exchange”