Modified Leonard 50-1/2 tournament....

The exchange of tapers forum is for classic and personally developed tapers. The definition of classic tapers are those tapers that were developed by rodmakers that are no longer alive. Please understand that rod makers who have developed their tapers, and are active in the community, should not have their tapers cloned, or shared, without their permission, please refrain for asking for those tapers as it infringes on the maker.

Moderator: pvansch1

japhy0508
Sport

Modified Leonard 50-1/2 tournament....

Post by japhy0508 »

Hi Gang!

I happened to get the opportunity to fish a slightly lengthened Cattanach Sir "D" that I finished building from a blank supplied to me by DS. What an unbelievably fun taper! After strolling through HEXROD recently, I happened upon a Leonard 50-1/2 tournament taper that is remarkably similar. what I then did was add 5% to the whole taper and changed it to match the line weight and length to compare to the Sir "D" at DT4/40ft....what resulted was remarkably similar to the Sir "D" albeit in a 8'6" format. Does anyone have knowledge of this taper and has anyone ventured to try such an experiment? From the description, the taper as is, is more of a medium dry fly action, but one to rave about.

Any thoughts or comments would be most welcome. :)

hopkintoncane
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Modified Leonard 50-1/2 tournament....

Post by hopkintoncane »

I am not sure I would refer to the 50.5 as a "dry fly" taper the way its described in modern terms, but it really is one of the most underrated Leonard tapers out there, so much elegant than most of the 50s I have had the opportunity to cast over the years I have one from the late 40s early 50s on the list right now and its a real sweet heart, Todd

japhy0508
Sport

Re: Modified Leonard 50-1/2 tournament....

Post by japhy0508 »

Great to hear Todd. Seems like it would work well with a 4wt line as well?

Return to “Taper Exchange”