Tapers for long rods and light lines and short rods for heavy lines

The exchange of tapers forum is for classic and personally developed tapers. The definition of classic tapers are those tapers that were developed by rodmakers that are no longer alive. Please understand that rod makers who have developed their tapers, and are active in the community, should not have their tapers cloned, or shared, without their permission, please refrain for asking for those tapers as it infringes on the maker.

Moderator: pvansch1

jan96
Master Guide

Tapers for long rods and light lines and short rods for heavy lines

Post by jan96 »

Anyone willing to share? I see that 90% of trout rods built these days is in lengths from 6' to 8' for lines #3 to #6. Light line usually goes with shorter rod and heavier with longer rod. What about the long rod, say ..over 9' for line #3 or lighter?! And on the other hand a short rod 6' or shorter for "heavy" lines #5, 6 or heavier?
r :)

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Tapers for long rods and light lines and short rods for heavy lines

Post by Canewrap »

Jan, are you interested in the taper for a 6'8", 6wt? It is my most successful taper that I designed.

PA Limestoner
Master Guide

Post by PA Limestoner »

Look in Split and Glued by Vince Marinaro on pages 272-273 about author Tom Whittle's development of a taper based on the Cross Sylph that is a seven foot for a seven weight. He also includes a three piece version of that taper.

jan96
Master Guide

Post by jan96 »

Thank you Canewrap, I'm interested of course. Very kind from you to share your taper. :)

Thank you PA Limestoner. Unfortunately I don't have the Marinaro's book.

r :)

albertatroutguy
Sport

Post by albertatroutguy »

I was hoping someone will post a light line, longer rod taper. Even better if it's a penta. Does the Lee Wulff Giant Killer fall into the short rod heavy line category? I could not find a taper for this rod but it was supposedly built by Sharpes. I wonder if it's the Sharpes Lee Wulff Midge taper in Rod DNA- 6' 7 wt.

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

Jan, sent you a PM.

-Bill

Lee Koch
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Lee Koch »

The problem with long, light-line tapers, IMHO, is that almost by definition, you have to reduce the slope as the rod gets longer, which makes the rod slower and slower as the taper gets longer and longer.

trland
Master Guide

Post by trland »

Lee Koch wrote:
03/17/21 18:01
The problem with long, light-line tapers, IMHO, is that almost by definition, you have to reduce the slope as the rod gets longer, which makes the rod slower and slower as the taper gets longer and longer.
Makes sense. It would seem that hollowing and other measures to reduce swing weight would help to mitigate the relationship of long rod length to slow rod action.

Return to “Taper Exchange”