Looking for a 9' 5 weight taper.

The exchange of tapers forum is for classic and personally developed tapers. The definition of classic tapers are those tapers that were developed by rodmakers that are no longer alive. Please understand that rod makers who have developed their tapers, and are active in the community, should not have their tapers cloned, or shared, without their permission, please refrain for asking for those tapers as it infringes on the maker.

Moderator: pvansch1

fishwoodrods
Guide

Looking for a 9' 5 weight taper.

Post by fishwoodrods »

I'm looking to make a 9' 5 weight rod and I can't seem to find a reputable source. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me out.
Thank you in advance
Mark McKellip

William Dunn
Guide

Re: Looking for a 9' 5 weight taper.

Post by William Dunn »

Try the Granger 9043 taper. It is published here, I think.

chsparkman
Master Guide

Post by chsparkman »

Mark, I'm sure you've looked on RodDNA. There are several there to compare.

Hope to see you at the next Grayrock.

Chris
...as for us we pin our faith and fealty to the silk-wound PENTAGONAL rod cunningly yet simply devised of its FIVE subtle, individual triangular strips of cane throughout...

Holden, George Parker. (modified by me) Idyl of the Split Bamboo

para_adams
Master Guide

Post by para_adams »

I just sent off my Leonard 45 to FE Thomas for consignment. It's an awesome 5 weight - medium speed yet very capable at longer distance. I'd look into that taper.

fishwoodrods
Guide

Post by fishwoodrods »

William Dunn wrote:
07/09/21 16:03
Try the Granger 9043 taper. It is published here, I think.
Thank you, I will try to find it.
Mark.

fishwoodrods
Guide

Post by fishwoodrods »

chsparkman wrote:
07/09/21 19:29
Mark, I'm sure you've looked on RodDNA. There are several there to compare.

Hope to see you at the next Grayrock.

Chris
Hi Chris. I will look into that, thank you. If Grayrock is held next year, I'm sure to be there.
Mak

fishwoodrods
Guide

Post by fishwoodrods »

para_adams wrote:
07/13/21 19:29
I just sent off my Leonard 45 to FE Thomas for consignment. It's an awesome 5 weight - medium speed yet very capable at longer distance. I'd look into that taper.
Thank you. I'll see if I can find it.
Mark.

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

In general, not knowing if you are looking for a 2 pc. or 3 pc. rod, OR solid or hollow built construction, The E.C. Powell, 4 3/8 ounce B9 is a very nice 5 WT.. Numbers are in Per Brandin's new book or you could just use the formula and calculate them out. The A8 X 1/6 taper would also yield a very nice rod. Both of course in hollow construction, done the way the Powell shop did it would add some time to the construction process, but not be out of your capabilities to achieve and give a great rod.

Per gives two taper versions, one a 6 the other a 4WT. By the choice of hardware and wraps the 4 would move up to a 5 easily. Plus Per sometimes tends to evaluate a rod a line size heavier then what I would cast. SO, the 6WT may also be a nice 5, depending on how one casts.

Carl @ Wanigas

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

I agree with Carl. My E.C. Powell 9-foot B9 at 4 3/8 oz. is a wonderful 5 wt. taper.

Scott Z.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Return to “Taper Exchange”