3 wt trout rod 6 - 7 1/2 feet

The exchange of tapers forum is for classic and personally developed tapers. The definition of classic tapers are those tapers that were developed by rodmakers that are no longer alive. Please understand that rod makers who have developed their tapers, and are active in the community, should not have their tapers cloned, or shared, without their permission, please refrain for asking for those tapers as it infringes on the maker.

Moderator: pvansch1

RSalar
Guide

3 wt trout rod 6 - 7 1/2 feet

Post by RSalar »

I posted this elsewhere and it was suggested I post it here too. I did get some very good suggestions but if you'd like to chime in that would be great:

I'll add one additional question to my original post: What if anything would you change if you wanted to make a 2 piece taper into a 3 piece rod? Besides the obvious ... Is there any modification to the taper required or can I just put the ferrules at 1/3 of the total length? What effect will it have on the rod's action?

I am going to make a 6 1/2 to 7 or even 7 1/2 foot 3 or 4 wt -- I was thinking it would be a 3 piece rod but can be convinced otherwise. A light finished all up weight is a priority but the number 1 priority is its casting ability. I want it to be a dry fly action -- fairly fast but not a stiff tip only action. It will be used in small Eastern streams for brook trout. Again ... fishing mainly dry flies but it's always nice if the rod can do ok roll casting when needed. I understand that adding a second ferrule will add weight but was planning on using the smaller truncated version for both ferrules. There will be no need to push the rod to make long casts.

Does anyone have any experience with such a rod? Looking at tapers is one thing but nothing can compare to actually have casted it. So if you have fished such a rod or at least casted one -- I'd like to hear from you. Your general thoughts and ideas are very welcomed but in the end I really need the actual taper numbers or at least the taper name so I can look it up.

In The Lovely Reed, Howell mentions that the Fred Devine 7 1/2 foot, 3 piece, 3/4wt, "is a delight to cast." And the Dickerson 6 1/2 foot, 2 piece, 4 weight is "delicate enough to cast short and powerful enough to punch out 50 feet with relative ease. A delightful rod." There is a Leonard and a Payne listed. He says the Leonard 7 1/2 foot 4 weight is, "one of the nicest Leonards I've ever casted." He doesn't say anything about the Payne 7 foot 3/4 weight. And finally there is an interesting F. E. Thomas 6 foot 8 inch 3 weight of which is says, "According to Daryll (Whitehead), the best 3 weight he's ever cast."

Again, your thoughts are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Ron Scott
Testimony is like an arrow shot from a long-bow; the force of it depends on the strength of the hand that draws it. Argument is like an arrow from a cross-bow, which has equal force though shot by a child.” Bacon.

PJ Julius
Sport

Re: 3 wt trout rod 6 - 7 1/2 feet

Post by PJ Julius »

If you are willing to step down to 6'3", you should look at the Paul Young midge taper published in "The Lovely Reed". It is, to me anyway, a perfect 4 wt. small stream rod that is an excellent roll caster in a light 2 pc. format.

Paul

RAZINGKANE
Guide

Post by RAZINGKANE »

And if you want to go down a line size the PHY Smidgen at 6' 0" is a little gem. Some like this as a 4wt, I like it as a three. At any rate both the Midge and Smidgen are two very fine small stream tapers, but I have only made these in two piece versions. Paul is right on the roll cast on the midge. A short rod with a good roll does wonders for getting you under the tags in tight quarters.

John

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

PJ Julius wrote:
08/05/21 12:38
If you are willing to step down to 6'3", you should look at the Paul Young midge taper published in "The Lovely Reed". It is, to me anyway, a perfect 4 wt. small stream rod that is an excellent roll caster in a light 2 pc. format.

Paul
I have the taper for a 3-piece version of the 6'3" midge you mention. I can PM it to him, if he is interested.

RSalar
Guide

Post by RSalar »

Canewrap wrote:
08/05/21 14:21
PJ Julius wrote:

Paul
I have the taper for a 3-piece version of the 6'3" midge you mention. I can PM it to him, if he is interested.
That would be great — thank you Paul
Testimony is like an arrow shot from a long-bow; the force of it depends on the strength of the hand that draws it. Argument is like an arrow from a cross-bow, which has equal force though shot by a child.” Bacon.

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

How about a Brooks McKenzie Midge? It's a 3 pc. rod but I've yet to build one. Apparently it's a cool little rod.

RSalar
Guide

Post by RSalar »

3creeks wrote:
08/06/21 09:09
How about a Brooks McKenzie Midge? It's a 3 pc. rod but I've yet to build one. Apparently it's a cool little rod.
I’ll what I can find out about it. Thanks!

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

FWIW I've built two FE Thomas 6'8" 3 weights and it's a great rod. I bumped the tips up to .060 and moved the swell out so that it forms before the grip.

RWHoffhines
Master Guide

Post by RWHoffhines »

Tho these a 2 piecers, the aforementioned 6'8" Thomas (move the butt swell as described) or the 6'6" Leonard are both lovely little 3wts.

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

RSalar wrote:
08/06/21 03:28
Canewrap wrote:
08/05/21 14:21
PJ Julius wrote:

Paul
That would be great — thank you Paul
I sent him the taper a couple days ago and it is a really nice 3pc taper.

Return to “Taper Exchange”