Taper for Hardy JJH Triumph or Davy 3 piece rods?

The exchange of tapers forum is for classic and personally developed tapers. The definition of classic tapers are those tapers that were developed by rodmakers that are no longer alive. Please understand that rod makers who have developed their tapers, and are active in the community, should not have their tapers cloned, or shared, without their permission, please refrain for asking for those tapers as it infringes on the maker.

Moderator: pvansch1

Gravity
Sport

Taper for Hardy JJH Triumph or Davy 3 piece rods?

Post by Gravity »

I have recently bought at auction (for not much money) a rod that carries no maker's name, logo or model name, as one would usually expect, on the butt section. The housed butt cap is engraved "Made by Hardy Bros. Ltd. Alnwick England” plus a serial number indicating that it was made in late 1938.

I have not found the 1938 Hardy catalogue online but I have looked at the 1937 version. My rod is an 8ft 9in three-piece. It seems that Hardy only made two rods of that description at that time, the JJH Triumph and the Davy. I have checked the tapers for the Triumph on both Hexrod and Splitcaneinfo and mine differs (in that it is more slender in the tip but heavier in the butt). However those tapers are for two-piece versions (as opposed to my three-piece), which I guess might explain the difference, although that doesn't seem right. I have not yet found a taper for the Davy.

In order that I can determine whether my rod is in fact either a JJH Triumph or a Davy (or indeed neither!) I wonder if anyone is able to provide a taper for the three-piece version of either or both rods, please?

Godfroy
Master Guide

Re: Taper for Hardy JJH Triumph or Davy 3 piece rods?

Post by Godfroy »

I have a 1932 JJH Triumph, three-piece. 1932 was the first year it appeared, I think. I also own a 1950's two-piece JJH Triumph and it is a very different rod. The 1932 is more of a #5 weight for me and the 1950's one feels more like a #6.

I don't have detailed measurements of the 1932 one available but these are over varnish, in inches for the 1932 rod.

Tip 1, below tip top - .072 Tip 2, below tip top wrap - .074
above ferrule .183 above ferrule .183
Top ferrule .201 (diameter of male)
Mid, below tip ferrule .201, above butt ferrule .274
Butt ferrule .278
Butt, below ferrule .287, above handle .373

Paul.

Gravity
Sport

Post by Gravity »

Paul

That is most helpful: thank you for taking time to take those measurements and post them here. They are close to the rod I have. It looks likely that it is indeed a JJH Triumph.

Next issue to consider is how much effort to invest in restoring the rod. It's a nice problem to have!

Thanks again for your help.

Stephen

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

You are welcome Stephen. I think some of the rods made by Hardy Bros. in the 1930s are among the best they did.

The problem with my JJH Triumph, although it is complete with two full length tips and original bag and ferrule stoppers, is that it was badly restored in the recent past. The restorer put the guides on the wrong flat of the middle and both tips so the numbers stamped on the ferrules do not line up when the rod is assembled. It is difficult to get the butt guide on the wrong flat.

Gravity
Sport

Post by Gravity »

Oh yes! I do understand.

My rod has clearly been worked on by someone other than a Hardy craftsman at one point in the past. New varnish has been applied over the original with various runs and blemishes and the intermediate wraps are not the correct colour. The butt ferrule has been reattached (badly but it works) and the pin has been driven out but not replaced as the hole in the wall of the ferrule is roughly double the size it should be. I Imagine the hole in the cane is now hidden by the metal. It goes on...

I have decided, for now, to do the bare minimum of restoration to make the rod usable. I will then fish it for the remainder of the season (we can fish for grayling on the beats I prefer until the end of December). By that time, it will be clear whether I enjoy the rod enough to strip it back to bare cane, less the grip, take off the original ferrules and start from scratch. I'll take it out for some "grass casting" tomorrow having re-wrapped the butt ferrule today and see how it goes.

Thank you once again for your help. I'm most grateful.

Stephen

Return to “Taper Exchange”