12' 7wt Spey Rod 3pc.

The exchange of tapers forum is for classic and personally developed tapers. The definition of classic tapers are those tapers that were developed by rodmakers that are no longer alive. Please understand that rod makers who have developed their tapers, and are active in the community, should not have their tapers cloned, or shared, without their permission, please refrain for asking for those tapers as it infringes on the maker.

Moderator: pvansch1

johnbontrager
Sport

Re: 12' 7wt Spey Rod 3pc.

Post by johnbontrager »

Saw the post on Spey pages. Nice effort for sure.

mrampant
Master Guide

Post by mrampant »

Nice work, the blackwood looks exceptional. I noticed that the hollowing was not deep, does it crisp up the rod much?
Impressive finish work.
Cheers,
Mark
He who shall not be able to make a trout fly, after studying these diagrams and directions, must be deficient either in brains or in manual dexterity. : Edward Fitzgibbon 1853

RaspberryPatch
Guide

Post by RaspberryPatch »

Malcolm thank your for your answers in Speypages and I think this has to get into long list of things to do. David

oddsnrods
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oddsnrods »

Regarding hollowing, I followed the combined advice of both Tim Abbot and James Reid on the subject for an earlier 11' double handed rod- regarding how much to remove, the rod became 30 grams lighter as a result- the same weight as the two sets of ferrules used.

My sanding jig (mentioned) was from Best of the Planing Form Volume 2, page 60, which I demonstrated at the Canadian Cane gathering a few years ago.

The dams are 1/4" , Scallops 1 3/4", solid 3/4" above and below ferrules, hollowed through the handle to the end. Depth, lower section .100", mid .070 - .080" I take that up as far into the tip as I can. I may refine this regime on my next rod.

I am in two minds about hollowing, as I notice that I am sanding through power fibres, which I consider must compromise the strength and 'spring' of the rod- could going too thin make it 'softer', requiring increasing dimensions to compensate? In a previous post here a few years ago, I included an essay on the subject written by Tim Abbot, with his permission, who has a sharper mind than mine on the subject.

Does hollowing crisp up the rod much? Hard to say, unless I would compare a solid with hollow. 'Mass' is removed so there is a lighter feel possibly, which is why I strive to not add weight back on if possible.

Malcolm

Bugchucker
Sport

Post by Bugchucker »

Beautiful build. I have been doing splice joints on past Spey builds. You give me courage to use nickel silver ferrules.

oddsnrods
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oddsnrods »

Thanks, In my opinion, there is no reason not to use ferrules, if you prefer- each method of joining sections have their pros and cons. There are those who advocate that metal ferrules have no place on a Spey Rod due to the resultant stresses etc. Long ago I asked my rod making mentor about this, who replied- if there would have been anything wrong with them Hardys, plus other manufactures, would not have incorporated them for so long on their double handed fly rods.

Indeed Jim Hardy wrote in his book on the subject - The House the Hardy Brothers Built:

'In 1881 William Hardy had patented the Lockfast joint which obviated the need to use troublesome catches or thread to fasten rod joints, and the use of 'splint-ends' to connect the joint to the rod made for an extremely effective and sound connection. Some argue that the use of plain, well made, true fitting suction joints should have sufficed to connect the rod pieces perfectly satisfactorily, but the Lockfast, and later the Lloyd Treble Grip (1897) - which proved too heavy- and the Studlock (1923), added security and a certain amount of sophistication; they certainly lasted on some rods for very many years. The joints were a replacement for the 'splice' method of joining rod sections and which was a long time a- dying. Comparatively recently it was still possible to find the odd conservatively- minded angler who preferred his split bamboo or greenheart rod to be built in this manner. In reality, the sole advantage to be claimed for the splice was its light weight.'

I tend to bow to James Hardy's opinion as he was involved with the firm for 44 years and for ten of them competed in tournament casting competitions on behalf of Hardys, who were regarded as the people to beat.

James Hardy was three times world casting champion (fly and bait-casting). Held 10 British 'All Comers' professional records, plus 25 British National Professional records. He also designed the Hardy Phantom in 1957 plus (possibly) the Hollowlite- I think he knew something about rods.

Malcolm

toothybugs
Master Guide

Post by toothybugs »

Super cool. Can I ask how you tweaked the tip dimensions?
- NJG
(It's Nate, but I generally only sign my initials.)

Got loopage?
http://plumbrookrods.wordpress.com

oddsnrods
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oddsnrods »

I added to the taper numbers by about 0.010" throughout its length, which afore mentioned WayneV, thought made it quite different and (he considered) preferable to his version- enough for me to continue to finish the rod off. So far I am very impressed with how it 'feels', though I have yet to fish it.

Return to “Taper Exchange”