Garrison 215

The exchange of tapers forum is for classic and personally developed tapers. The definition of classic tapers are those tapers that were developed by rodmakers that are no longer alive. Please understand that rod makers who have developed their tapers, and are active in the community, should not have their tapers cloned, or shared, without their permission, please refrain for asking for those tapers as it infringes on the maker.

Moderator: pvansch1

mrampant
Master Guide

Garrison 215

Post by mrampant »

Can someone give me some idea what line is suitable for this rod? I am expecting it to come out at about a 7 weight.
Cheers,
Mark
He who shall not be able to make a trout fly, after studying these diagrams and directions, must be deficient either in brains or in manual dexterity. : Edward Fitzgibbon 1853

Mike McGuire
Master Guide

Re: Garrison 215

Post by Mike McGuire »

RodDNA has it as an 8 weight as does the David Ray taper library at Hexrod. YMMV

Mike
A Selection of my DIY Rodmaking Tools

mrampant
Master Guide

Post by mrampant »

I can work with that, I planned on a 8 next time but now is good. ;D
Mark
He who shall not be able to make a trout fly, after studying these diagrams and directions, must be deficient either in brains or in manual dexterity. : Edward Fitzgibbon 1853

Tom Smithwick
Master Guide

Post by Tom Smithwick »

There seems to be some sort of problem going on with the 215 in the taper libraries. In my copy of RodDNA, it is not entered correctly at all, and also lists the 221 as a 7 weight, and the 215 as an 8 weight, when in fact, the opposite looks to be true. I have cast the 221 with an 8 weight, and it was very sweet. I have not cast the 215, but it looks more like a 7 weight to me, if anything on the light side. Also be careful with the upper ferrule size on the 215. It was listed incorrectly in the first edition of "The Book" and I am not sure if it was corrected in the later edition.

TXTrout
Master Guide

Post by TXTrout »

I would agree with Tom's comments. I would fish the 215 as a 6wt. Most look at it a s a 6/7. The 221 was listed as a modern 8wt. Some like it as a 7wt.

mrampant
Master Guide

Post by mrampant »

OH, This just makes it so much more interesting. The 221 was the planned next rod, maybe I'll get the 8wt with that one.
What was the issue with the ferrule on the 215?
Mark

Tom Smithwick
Master Guide

Post by Tom Smithwick »

Mark - "The Book" shows the top ferrule as a 14/64, when it should be an 11. That one is fixed in RodDNA. Another one that eluded proof reading is the 55" dimension on the 209 taper. It is in the book, and in the databases as .234, when it obviously ought to be .224. Obviously just typos. I used to do some technical manual writing, been there, done that.

mrampant
Master Guide

Post by mrampant »

Damn! I put aside a 14/64 for that build without reading the dimensions, but I have a 11 for a different (221) rod. I was going to make it in a 3 pcs; I'll have to get another ferrule to replace it and look at making another rod to use the 14/64, something in a 6wt?
Oh the joy, another rod!
I'll make a note in my copy of those errors, Thanks Tom.
Cheers,
Mark

64Emmons
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 64Emmons »

Here is yet another example of why it might be s better idea to learn how to cook rather than follow someone else's directions on the back of the box of brownie mix.
Chris

fishbum
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fishbum »

64Emmons wrote:Here is yet another example of why it might be s better idea to learn how to cook rather than follow someone else's directions on the back of the box of brownie mix.
Just one more reason I have pretty much lost all interest in the Classic Fly Rod Forum.

Jerry

HDH
Sport

Post by HDH »

fishbum wrote:
Just one more reason I have pretty much lost all interest in the Classic Fly Rod Forum.

Jerry
Which is sad, because I for one have always enjoyed and learned from your posts.

paxlev
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by paxlev »

I know this is way late but I have a 215 8' 2 piecer and it definitely a 6 weight. Have fished it .a couple of times below the reservoir on the upper Sac. Felt a little under gunned with the rod.

mrampant
Master Guide

Post by mrampant »

Funny that this thread came back up again,
I went out to the park last week to play with the 215 and a 212e; First I used the 212e with a 6 line and then the 215. The 215 felt ok but not that exciting, the next day back in the park I put a Triangle taper Wulff line in a 7 weight and it came alive. In close right out to my usual max distance of around 22-23 meters and then a bit more, easy to control. A new best friend for small saltwater and usual NZ fish I should think.
Cheers,
Mark

mrampant
Master Guide

Post by mrampant »

I am thinking about making this taper again in a three piece and hollowing it. I feel that this will make a beautiful rod for NZ future fishing as it will be small enough (3pce) to carry around and the action really appeals to me. Hollowing it will put a little more "zip" in it.
Cheers,
Mark

Return to “Taper Exchange”