H & I 9'2" cane rod

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

H&I

H & I 9'2" cane rod

Post by H&I »

Hello, this is my first post here and I'm trying for some information on an old fly rod I've had for many years. AFAI can remember, I picked it up at a garage sale some 20+ years ago and it went directly to the "get around to it" pile in the garage. I came upon it the other day and decided to check it out more thoroughly and Google led me here to the site.
I took it out of the old looking brown cloth bag/sleeve and here's what I found. Pardon me for not knowing the correct terms for all these parts.
In the bag, I found 5 pieces with a decal HORROCKS-IBBOTTSON Ithaca, NY on the main part of the rod. The decal is diamond shaped and has black script on a GOLD background. The ITHACA NY is on a RED background.
The total length for a three piece rod is 9' 2" with each piece being about 3' long. That's the first 3 pcs. Also included in the bag were TWO more pieces so it seems you can take the main piece with the flyreel connection at the end and ADD to it
a. The FIRST Two pieces or
b. the OTHER TWO pieces to end up with a 3 part rod being 9'2" long.

Total is 5 pcs of rod and the bag.
I'll try to attach a few pics and what I'm looking for is some info regarding the age and/or Model of the item. It may need to be mounted as an antique on the wall in my den along with my Winchester .44-40 Model 1892 carbine and US Cavalry saber c.1880.
Any information would be appreciated.

Alan
PS. the memory card in this tablet won't let me ADD pics.. I'll send the msg I've been typing, One fingered, for 10 min and add the pics later..First post..😱🙃

H&I

Re: H & I 9'2" cane rod

Post by H&I »

I see there are choices as to SIZE of pic posts to this Forum.
What size do you suggest ?
A

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

The decal you describe likely dates the rod from the 1920's to very early 30's. Photos will confirm.

H&I

Post by H&I »

The TAB didnt have the memory to add these pics so here they are from the laptop.
I see a reference to an old 1930 s H&I catalog but cant find it so I wonder what I have here ?

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

You have a c.1930 H-I "Utica" model rod, with a more modern replacement reel seat and an extra mid section that is from another rod.

H&I

Post by H&I »

thanks for the info update "wrong? " :smokin

H&I

Post by H&I »

1930 UTICA "Extra mid section"- yes, I see that the stock? sleeve/bag is stitched so that there are 4 long partitions in which to slide the rod sections. One is wider than the rest for the cork grip and ReelMount, the other 3 get the 4 other sections I guess. Now I'll keep my eyes open for an "old" looking reel so I can mount them onto the wall in my den.

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”