Any idea on age, maker on this Bamboo Rod?

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

martiehen
Sport

Re: Any idea on age, maker on this Bamboo Rod?

Post by martiehen »

Gnome wrote:
07/07/19 06:38
No doubt that the ferrules are identical to my Geo, I, Varney Marked Montague as is the rest of the metal work on the rod shown (the heavy angular block welt on the females is a dead give away that it is from GIV). Montague pre-1925 IMHO and a pretty rare one at that a true keeper!!

2 copper pieces from the cave
Gnome - After having rod restored, no closer to model identification, but restorer agrees Montague 1900-1930
Serenity is found fishing. Martie

TheMontyMan
Global Moderator

Post by TheMontyMan »

Your rod appears to be a Montague Red Wing trade rod, probably built sometime between 1927 and 1931. During this period the reel seat style on yours was the stock reel seat for the Red Wing model. During the same period, Montague offered the Red Wing in the 7'6" 3/2 configuration. The coke bottle shaped grip and ferrule style are also typical for the Red Wing.

I'd guess your rod was built closer to 1927, due to use of English twist snake guides. I have a couple of early Red Wings and Manitous with English twist snake guides.

I have a couple of these rare, early 7'6" Red Wing rods. Indeed a sweet little rod and an extremely rare find!

. . . Rex
The Monty Man

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

martiehen wrote:
06/12/21 08:24
Finding a reel for it somewhat problematic. Used one of my instructor's reels for lesson. The two I had both unusable (Martin 65 and South Bend Gren-o-matic 1130 model D). Balance is an issue. Only new reel that has enough weight from my local fly shop is a Redington Grande - 6.7 oz (yeech, too shiny and modern). A friend sent me a Scientific Anglers/3M System One 456, but it's a little light - 5.7 oz. After talking with Lou, I'm hanging out on ebay looking for a vintage Pflueger, the new ones are too light. May head down to Bass Pro Shops and see what they've got. Any other suggestions?
Look for a Meisselbach Featherlight reel from about the same era your rod was made. They are not that hard to find and work very nicely on these old Montague rods. I wouldn't worry about balance with rods and reels this light.

martiehen
Sport

Post by martiehen »

TheMontyMan wrote:
06/13/21 17:16
Your rod appears to be a Montague Red Wing trade rod, probably built sometime between 1927 and 1931. During this period the reel seat style on yours was the stock reel seat for the Red Wing model. During the same period, Montague offered the Red Wing in the 7'6" 3/2 configuration. The coke bottle shaped grip and ferrule style are also typical for the Red Wing.

I'd guess your rod was built closer to 1927, due to use of English twist snake guides. I have a couple of early Red Wings and Manitous with English twist snake guides.

I have a couple of these rare, early 7'6" Red Wing rods. Indeed a sweet little rod and an extremely rare find!

. . . Rex
The Monty Man
Wow! Thank you Rex. I really appreciate the id. Totally enjoying the rod and remembering my Grandfather’s grin while he fished. Do any of yours have a number stamped on the reel seat? I’ve seen a few similar ones with the store name on them, but never a number.

martiehen
Sport

Post by martiehen »

teter wrote:
06/14/21 01:58

Look for a Meisselbach Featherlight reel from about the same era your rod was made. They are not that hard to find and work very nicely on these old Montague rods. I wouldn't worry about balance with rods and reels this light.
Thank you. I will have a look for one of those. Found a Pflueger Medalist with an extra spool, so I can have 5 and 6 wt.

martiehen
Sport

Post by martiehen »

Bamboocollector#1 wrote:
06/12/21 08:58
Thanks for sharing the pics after restoration and for sharing your story. Your grandfather would be proud! Enjoy it, fish it, and savor your memories of time spent with him.
Grin. You bet!

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”