Orvis Battenkill

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

mdwinks
Sport

Orvis Battenkill

Post by mdwinks »

Hello everyone,
I was hoping to get a sense of the market value of rod I just acquired. The rod is an Orvis Battenkill. 3/2. 7'6". 4 1/4 ounce. HDG (6). Serial #63556.

Pros: All sections full length and straight. Wraps look good. No "serious" condition issues. Has original tube.
Cons: The ferrule connecting the mid section to butt section is somewhat loose. I think it'll hold when fished, but I wish it was more snug*. There is scratch on the reel seat and some lettering has a few flaws. The bluing on the ferrules is mostly gone (right?). Also, there was some green oxidation on the ferrules when I purchased it and some remains on the winding check as I was trying to avoid getting DNA on the wraps as I cleaned it.

I have a general sense of the value of Battenkills. I was mostly curious if the 3pcs increases value the way it does with graphite rods. And, how much value is lost given the various imperfects of the rod. (*BTW, would paraffin wax secure the connection a bit?)

I don't think this rod is on the database, so I will send that info along too. Thanks in advance for any info!
-Mark

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Orvis Battenkill

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

These shorter 3-piece rods don't come up for sale often. I follow most Orvis sales on e-bay and I would expect the value of your rod with these conditions to still be >$600. Can the ferrule be easily inserted and removed with little effort? Can you rotate the seated ferrule using just 1 finger and a thumb without forcing it to rotate?

Wax will help prolong use of a poorly fitting ferrule, but another choice is to use a ferrule shrinking tool designed and sold by one of our members, or have the ferrule replaced by Orvis. If you live in a state with a total closure due to ice out or game laws, it might be a good time to send it to Orvis for a tune up.

I have an earlier version that I like with 4 through 6 weight lines.

Cheers,
Joe

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

I have an earlier one of the 7.5', 3/2, 4-1/4 oz ones, I agree with NUCA that they don't become available all that often. They originally sold for more than the 7.5', 2/2, 3-7/8 oz and 4 oz rods, and my recollection is that they have typically sold for a premium over the 7.5', 2/2, 3-7/8 oz and 4 oz rods in the secondary market.

mdwinks
Sport

Post by mdwinks »

Thank you both for your insight. I appreciate it!

Regarding the ferrule, yes, it does spin when I give a slight twist, so perhaps it's even a tad looser than I thought. Does this tend to mean it'll be an issue when fished? (I know this is veering from the "appraisal" topic, so if should switch to PM's, let me know).

Thanks again, Mark

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Hello Mark,

If the ferrule spins, it is time to send it back to Orvis for a tune up/ferrule replacement.

Cheers,
Joe

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

NewUtahCaneAngler wrote:
10/16/21 07:02
Hello Mark,

If the ferrule spins, it is time to send it back to Orvis for a tune up/ferrule replacement.

Cheers,
Joe
DITTO!

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

mdwinks wrote:
10/13/21 17:09
Thank you both for your insight. I appreciate it!

Regarding the ferrule, yes, it does spin when I give a slight twist, so perhaps it's even a tad looser than I thought. Does this tend to mean it'll be an issue when fished? (I know this is veering from the "appraisal" topic, so if should switch to PM's, let me know).

Thanks again, Mark
It looks to be in otherwise good condition, so it's more than worth sending back to Orvis. I've been keeping my eye out for a rod just like this one to compare with the much more common 7/5' 3 7/8oz rods I have. I've seen some folks say the 3-piece is faster and others slower...no idea, but almost nobody says they dislike them.

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”