Do you think this Monty Belmont is original?

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

driftless angler
Master Guide

Do you think this Monty Belmont is original?

Post by driftless angler »

A Monty Belmont just showed up on the doorstep today. I had been looking for a 7.5' Fishkill or Rapidan and with the help of this site found that the Belmont was a similar Monty model made for Sears.

Boy, this rod looks nice! Too nice! I thinking it must have been redone at some point, what do you think? Anyone know the year made?

The vanish appears flawless and the wraps gorgeous. All pieces straight as an arrow. The guides are old, but no rust. The stripper is fake agate which I guess was a hallmark of the Belmont, as is the metal reel seat. Which btw works really slick - nice design! The Fishkill and Rapidan were known for having too few guides. What about the Belmont? This one has 7, including the stripper ( 6 on the tip, stripper on the butt section). If I was doing it over, I probably would have gone 8-9 guides. Maybe that some evidence that it has not been redone? If a redo, why not add a couple more guides and like I said the guides are old, not that you can't buy old guides today.

The grip shows little use and is 5". Is this the size and style of a Belmont grip? One strange thing is that the hook keeper is one flat off the scripted "Belmont" and stripping guide. Would Montague do that? If a redo, why would you do that? Ferrule fit for both tips is excellent.

The bag is old but in great shape - correct length and slots for the 3 pieces. On the cardboard rod tube, someone taped a label with "Grand Haven, Michigan" over the original label, but you can still read "Belmont Bamboo Fly Rod" and care instructions through it. The whole tube has been vanished at some point, I suppose to provide some weather protection. Montague would not have done that right?

I had to run out and cast it in the fading daylight. I didn't have a 3 wt line here (all at the cabin), but I think that would be a bit light anyway. Tried a few 4/5 weight lines and my what a sweetie! Nice progressive, medium-slow to medium action. I like my rods on the slower side and was thinking about a Orvis Midge, but this one feels so nice, I might put off that search. Can anyone compare the two?

Enough rambling, here are some photos. Thanks for reading, looking, and any input. I appreciate your help!

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Do you think this Monty Belmont is original?

Post by wrong66 »

I saw that for sale. I thought most of the "Belmont" models, made exclusively for Sears, Roebuck & Co., were from the early to mid 30's. The reel seat looks to be from a later model. I could be wrong.
Mark

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

In any state of recondition, it's a sweet, little rod!
I think maybe some of the wraps, especially those just above the male ferrules, were redone, but not very recently. The wear of the plating on one of the ferrules, with the brass showing through, indicates some moderate use and the large pins in the ferrules are puzzling.

sawtelle8
Guide

Post by sawtelle8 »

Hi,
That particular reel seat is called a titelock and was used by Montague from the late 30's into the 50's on their mid to lower model rods and trade rods like this Belmont. The all metal reel seat gives an indication that it was probably early in the titelock run. I think the plastic inserts were introduced in the early 40's (around the conclusion of WWII).

Also, agree with wrong66, the Belmont was sold under the Sear's label.

A nice looking rod, enjoy.
Sawtelle

TheMontyMan
Global Moderator

Post by TheMontyMan »

Very Nice specimen of a pretty rare rod in the 2/2 configuration!
I'll echo what both Mark and Sawtelle noted.
I believe it is all original, except someone has done a nice job of adding extra guides. This makes the rod much better to fish with, and in my opinion, adds value to the rod. This rod is pretty much in the quality range of the Rapidan, built with a little higher than average cane, but not as high quality as the Fishkill. It typically came equipped with 3 snake guides on each tip.
The Belmont was a trade rod built exclusively for Sears, Roebuck & Co. The reel seat is correct for this model and as Sawtelle indicated, this reel seat styling was probably used on these rods from the early 30's thru the late 30's.
I've fished one of these a couple of times, swapping between the Belmont and the Rapidan for comparison. They seemed to have the same taper and weight as well as similar action.
Nice find! Enjoy!!

. . . Rex
The Monty Man

driftless angler
Master Guide

Hey thanks guys! I really appreciate you taking a look - you all definitely know what to look for, thanks for you assessment.

I had it in the backyard again today and it looks like the "Belmont" was written on a rectangle of different varnish. I wonder if it was taped off while a reconditioning took place, including adding the extra guides. if redone, someone did a heck of a job. Played around with more 4-5 wt lines and it loved them all. I'm really going to enjoy this rod.

I know there is variation in the taper of the Fishkill/Rapidan/Belmont?, but can anyone compare to an Orvis Midge?

Thanks again!

OldCane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by OldCane »

I think it has had an overcoat of varnish and perhaps had a few guides redone. I own a 2 piece Montague beater rod with the brass plates ferrules. The ferrules are cracked and someone stripped the rod of grip, seat and guides. So I've not cast it. I hope to turn it into an updated non-original rod one day. I also own a couple of 7'6" Fishkill rods plus a Rapidan with better NS ferrules and they are all sweet casting rods. I've not owned an Orvis Midge, I do own a 7'6" Orvis 99 and I much prefer the Fishkill rods.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a DD214.

driftless angler
Master Guide

OldCane, thanks for your appraisal and comparison!

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”