Leonard one piece

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Leonard one piece

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Oh this has been fun! Thanks to everyone involved with this rod and post.

Jay Edwards

paasman

Post by paasman »

Just a quick update. The rod has now had it's missing rod rings replaced and is looking good.
It will be on display at the British Fly Fair international on the Prince Albert Angling Society stand, just come along and I'm sure one of the lads will take it out of the display for you to handle it, unfortunately I'm on holiday that weekend so I wont be there. (sunning myself with a bit of fishing in Jamaica). The date of the BFFI is 11 & 12 February at,
Bingley Hall,
Stafford County show ground,
Staffordshire.

paasman

Post by paasman »

An update on the Leonard.
We have just been to the Mid Wales country show at Rhug Hall were there was great interest in the rod, it's next outing will be at Lowther show in Cumbria were we hope to do a demonstration with the rod with a silk line, the date of this show is 12 & 13 August, if any one's in the UK come and see us.

paasman

Post by paasman »

A few years have passed since my last post on the leonard.
It has been used a couple of times fishing for small brownies in streams with a silk line as it was meant to, I even caught some!!!
We took it around the shows here in the UK where it attracted great interest, until covid took over, hopefully they will be starting up again this year.
Anyway I've decided it was time for it to have a new journey in life and go home so I've donated it to the American museum of fly fishing in Manchester Vermont, it arrived there at the end of last week and was opened yesterday by the museum to great excitement, it had survived it's journey (marvellous what you can do with a drain pipe and bubble wrap) and will soon be on display at the museum, I'm hoping to come over to the States next year to have a look around the museum for myself. And of course do a bit of fishing in what I've been told is a beautiful part of the world.

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

What a wonderful update and next step in the journey of that rod. Many folks will appreciate your donation.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

For what it's worth, I have an immense appreciation for history and this venerable rod is museum quality. If it was passed on to me in some fantasy twist of fate, I'd replace the missing guide and put a reel on it and hopefully present a fly to a willing trout. To me that would do the rod justice and then I'd give it a place of honor. The staunch collectors and historians may find that appalling, but it is a fishing rod, albeit a Holy Grail.

uniquafly
Master Guide

Post by uniquafly »

Reading about and seeing photos of the one-piece Leonard was definitely a treat! Many thanks to to everyone who offered up information and assistance in getting the photos posted. What a treat to see such a rarity.
“He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.”

Norman Maclean

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”