Antique Abbey & Imbrie

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

bambookill
Guide

Re: Antique Abbey & Imbrie

Post by bambookill »

Cwfly and 2dabacking, yes that’s exactly what I mean. We have the little “x”s on Abbey and Imbrie marked rods, and on unmarked rods, but as 2dabacking mentioned Mitchell and Pritchard, the question is, are those examples marked with the maker’s name? Or... are we just attributing those “x”s to what we “ believe” to be Mitchell rods and Pritchard rods? See what I’m saying? I’ve seen rods mistakenly called Mitchell that were actually Bowness and Bowness. If I’m not mistaken Pritchard and Mitchell didn’t mark their rods with their name? Again, I’m just speculating for discussion.

2dabacking
Master Guide

Post by 2dabacking »

Hi,
Yes, the Mitchell and Pritchard rods with those rails are marked with makers' names.

bambookill
Guide

Post by bambookill »

2dabacking, wow I’d seriously love to see those. Do you know who has them? Or can you lead me to the pics, by chance? Admittedly, I will have to give up on my Vom Hofe theory after that. 😊😊

bambookill
Guide

Post by bambookill »

Although this is a little confusing, because if we have maker marked Mitchell’s with the little x’s then wouldn’t the little x’s mystery be over at that point? Certainly at that point we could say it’s Mitchell’s mark. Is that the consensus?

2dabacking
Master Guide

Post by 2dabacking »

Not if the rails were a common supply available to the trade...

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”