Bamboo Fly rod with only a Pat no. 1,832,986?

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Kerrymarshall

Bamboo Fly rod with only a Pat no. 1,832,986?

Post by Kerrymarshall »

I have recently got passed down in the family a series of bamboo Fly rods.
one only has written on the base, above the cork handle,
Pat No 1,832,986. It is a two piece rod with two (2) top segments...
Any idea of what I have...?
Want to learn what the history might be...

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Bamboo Fly rod with only a Pat no. 1,832,986?

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Well hmmmm.... The patent seems to be for a device to 'crack' petroleum, that is to heat it to separate the different components. It could be a rod owned by the inventor. Other than that we need pictures and descriptions, particularly pictures.

Jay Edwards

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

Looks like you have an EC Powell rod, a desirable rod. Second digit should be a 9.

RMorrison
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by RMorrison »

16pmd wrote:Looks like you have an EC Powell rod, a desirable rod. Second digit should be a 9.
Yes - check the reel seat closely and there should be an oval logo that says “EC Powell Maker Marysville Cal” on it. Some photos would also help a lot.

High Desert

Post by High Desert »

Like 16pmd said - pretty sure you have an E. C. Powell rod. Reel seat is normally a Bakelite material and the end cap will say "Marysville, Ca". Last two I had I sold and they had been rebuilt by E.C.'s son, Walt. I sold them for about $1K each. Market on these is really up and down, so if thinking about selling - just have to find the right buyer.

RMorrison
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by RMorrison »

Thanks Murray. So now this guy (if he ever bothers to come back to the forum) is going to put this rod up on eBay for $1000 because of what you said. For all we know it’s a thrashed Steelhead rod with two short tips. Or a mint 7’6”? With guys like this you need to see some photos and get more info - condition and configuration is everything and we know nothing.

High Desert

Post by High Desert »

RMorrison wrote:Thanks Murray. So now this guy (if he ever bothers to come back to the forum) is going to put this rod up on eBay for $1000 because of what you said. For all we know it’s a thrashed Steelhead rod with two short tips. Or a mint 7’6”? With guys like this you need to see some photos and get more info - condition and configuration is everything and we know nothing.
Just to be more specific on the earlier post I made. The rods I sold had been totally rebuilt by E.C.'s son, Walt, for me. The rods had never been used, both were 2 tip rigs and one had a tip 1" short. One was in original tube and the other not. These had been build for casting competitions at the Golden Gate Flycasters (members, husband and wife) in San Francisco, CA. Hopefully, this gives you a little better idea.

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”