Need help Identifying unnamed Hardy fly rod.

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

J Gustavsson
Master Guide

Need help Identifying unnamed Hardy fly rod.

Post by J Gustavsson »

Hi, I recently bought a very nice three piece 8 foot Hardy fly rod . For some reason someone scraped off the text on the butt piece...
According to the serialnumber it was made in 1952
Its in fairly good condition straight and all pieces in full length
It has a half wells grip and one of those uplocking reel seats with the spear.
Can anyone help me identifying this rod?
I would like to restore the text and the rod to its former glory
Its actually a very nice rod. Weighs 157 grams.
I only have the 1932 Anglers Guide but none of the listed rods in this edition was identical to my rod...

av1903
Guide

Re: Need help Identifying unnamed Hardy fly rod.

Post by av1903 »

Kenya? A bit heavy for de luxe.
Wise indeed was George Selwyn Marryat when he said: "its not the fly; its the driver"

page 193,
GEM Skues,The Way Of A Trout With A Fly

J Gustavsson
Master Guide

Post by J Gustavsson »

Can be... Tried to find pictures of the Kenya. Those I found didnt have the exact same shape of the handle and a different winding check.
But I dont know if thats like a an optional feature. That the buyer could choose?
Otherwise it looks line this could be it..

av1903
Guide

Post by av1903 »

It seems the difference in tyings between the deluxe and kenya is the crimson tipped with scarlet of the latter, both are listed as 5oz. in catalogues / i am assuming the spear tip is optional/.
Wise indeed was George Selwyn Marryat when he said: "its not the fly; its the driver"

page 193,

J Gustavsson
Master Guide

Post by J Gustavsson »

av1903 wrote:It seems the difference in tyings between the deluxe and kenya is the crimson tipped with scarlet of the latter, both are listed as 5oz. in catalogues / i am assuming the spear tip is optional/.
If thats the case, then it leans towards the Deluxe. Mine has no scarlet tippings.

Lockfast
Master Guide

Post by Lockfast »

A strange rod.

That classic grip with the long collar (winding check) was not used in any standard model Hardy rods in 1950's. The rod looks like a special order or one that has had its original reel seat replaced with a later reel seat hardware.

J Gustavsson
Master Guide

Post by J Gustavsson »

Lockfast wrote:A strange rod.

That classic grip with the long collar (winding check) was not used in any standard model Hardy rods in 1950's. The rod looks like a special order or one that has had its original reel seat replaced with a later reel seat hardware.
Ok... actually I´m not hundred percent sure about the serialnumber.. some of the numers where missing and I kind of came to a conclusion it was made 1952.. it might be an earlier rod..?

av1903
Guide

Post by av1903 »

Those joints seems to be on both kenya and de luxe, also both models are shown with fullopen guides and both are the only 8' rods in 3pcs 2 tops in 1951 and 1953 catalogues. The winding check looks similar if not the same as on my 1960 Holokona holowlight . The reel seat looks like the standard adjustable screw grip from the photo below but instead of but cap has the spear /on the other photo/, that was fitted on the " older rods where the construction allows" - as per hardy claims and photos from 1951 catalogue?

page 193,

J Gustavsson
Master Guide

Post by J Gustavsson »

The same winding check was used on the C C de France rods.
@av1903, can you post pictures of the catalogue pages with the Kenya and the Deluxe?

av1903
Guide

Post by av1903 »

There is no pictures of kenya, there is one for the de luxe with full wells but it could be a longer rod. First is de luxe from 1955, than kenya 1951 and kenya 1955.

page 193,

Lockfast
Master Guide

Post by Lockfast »

J Gustavsson wrote:The same winding check was used on the C C de France rods.
@av1903, can you post pictures of the catalogue pages with the Kenya and the Deluxe?
You're correct! I forgot the C.C.d.F. (kind of strange, since I own two 1950's Casting Clubs...)
But that was the only model, even Fairchild's grip had been changed to half wells. Kenya had a reversed half wells grip (sometimes full wells in earlier rods), but not with the tapered front & collar. The same type was naturally used later in 8 to 9 foot Hollolights but it was anodized.

The bag and label are identical to those in some of my Hardy rods from 1950's.

I wouldn't use wrap colors in identification in this case. It's quite obvious, that the rod is not a listed standard model and Hardy was more than happy to make special orders with different silks, guides, ferrules or reel seats than normally issued to a particular rod model. I own an original Knockabout fron 1958 with medium brown wraps (in the 1950's normally crimson), a Triumph with bridge rings (normally snake) and a 40's A.H.E. Wood with snakes (normally F.O.B.) and Studlock ferrules (normally Lockfasts).

It is possible that the rod is a unique special order, possibly even a shortened version of a standard taper. Maybe the customer just wanted older grip style with a reversible spear & button. When comparing weights, one must rememeber, that if this rod is a Kenya, Deluxe or C.C.d.F the weight listed in catalogues was for a rod with a lighter reel seat without the spear.

J Gustavsson
Master Guide

Post by J Gustavsson »

Thanks!!
After some thought I wrote a new text on the rod.. regd trade mark
"Palakona" and the Hardy De Luxe..

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”