Orvis Rods, need value estimates

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

RollinBugs

Post by RollinBugs »

Could you help me value 3 rods please, I'm considering purchasing all 3 and selling one.
1. Orvis Bamboo Flea 6'6" 2 tips serial 86xxxx, made April 1985, NIT 10 new condition, never fished or had a real on it! Tube mint.
2 Orvis Bamboo Madison/ Battenkill hdg6, one tip. (cap says battenkill, database says Madison) #68xxxx built 1973. Rod in good condition, tube is not good, sticker is almost unreadable.
3. Early Orvis graphite fly/spin combo, 8.5' 5wt. Brand new in tube, never fished, never a reel on it, tube also mint
Will look for pics in my old messages and post later. Let me know if you're interested in any, I'll have them soon and not attached to any of them, yet. Thanks!

samsonboi
Master Guide

Re: Orvis Rods, need value estimates

Post by samsonboi »

First, I would edit your post because graphite will get your post locked. Also, not sure on the values, but the difference between Battenkills and Madisons was that Battenkills have two tips, Madisons have one. The tube is, therefore, not original if the "cap" you mean is the tube cap.
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Pictures certainly help a lot as description sometimes gets ‘misaligned’. Length of the second rod is missing for example. But based on your description I’d say:

1) Flea around $800-900. If it has a screw lock seat then subtract $100

2) Single tip (Madison model) and not great (what is ‘good’ condition without pictures) condition I think around $300

3) Fly/spin combos aren’t very popular. I think around $150-200

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Please post the serial number of the Battenkill so I can correct the database.

Thank you...

Greg Reynolds

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

Realistically, Flea’s are down a bit, mint or not. More like 650-750 before all of the craziness.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Webfly wrote:Realistically, Flea’s are down a bit, mint or not. More like 650-750 before all of the craziness.
I'd have thought so too, but a 1 tip seven four with wrong tube and sock just sold for $650. I think that $750 for a truly new 2-tip Flea is low.

Cheers,
Joe

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

That’s a 7/4, and it sold for 600. A mint 1 tip Flea sold for 510. Not to mention, wallets are tightening, period.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Webfly wrote:That’s a 7/4, and it sold for 600. A mint 1 tip Flea sold for 510. Not to mention, wallets are tightening, period.
Yes, but $50 shipping for the 7/4. and the Flea was also a 1-tipper, using a 30% discount for the 1-tip versus 2, would have put that flea $725ish, but it wouldn't matter if you only wanted a 2-tipper.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

How about reading, "Before You Ask for An Appraisal"- see above??

BTW, not all Orvis Battenkills are two-tip rods, nor are all Orvis 99s/Madisons one-tip rods. In general, yes. Always, no.

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Now gents the value indications are just that. No need to jump around here.

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

A lot of numbers thrown around for something we can't even see. They could be garbage and now the OP thinks he has a gold mine.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

One man's Mint is another man's good to maybe very good. Photos are needed please.

Signed, Mint!

John :pipe

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

He's gone anyway...

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

look for the rods on that site?

RollinBugs

Post by RollinBugs »

RollinBugs

Post by RollinBugs »

RollinBugs

Post by RollinBugs »

OP here, pictures of the flea above. The madison and the graphite are just bonus with the package, I think $300 and $150 on those +-, will probably keep both to use. The Flea might be the one i sell to offset the cost of the other two, so that is the value I'm most concerned about. It's definitely mint, never had a reel on it. I wont touch it until I know I like bamboo and can justify keeping it. I like that it was made within a month or 2 of when I was born.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

If you fish small creeks, you should fish the Flea... or find an Orvis collector who wants to pay top dollar for an unused example, and then pocket some cash and pick up a used Flea and a Hardy Uniqua 2 5/8, Orvis CFO II, Hardy Featherweight, St. George Jr. or something along those lines to pair with an outstanding small stream rod. I have a 2-tip Madison version and find that it balances well with such reels. The full cork grip version might require a slightly heavier reel to balance if you find balance important on such a light rod.

Please show more photos of the flea!
Last edited by NewUtahCaneAngler on 04/24/20 06:13, edited 1 time in total.

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

eBay- 800, here- 700. Wallets are tight right now, may be able to push it after the markets recover. There’s no fees if you sell it here.

RollinBugs

Post by RollinBugs »

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”