8 ½ foot Montague Bamboo Fly Rod 3/2

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

PAGene
Sport

8 ½ foot Montague Bamboo Fly Rod 3/2

Post by PAGene »

I just acquired a 8 ½ foot Montague Bamboo Fly Rod 3/2, my first bamboo rod. From what I have been reading, on the Classic Fly Rod Forum, I think it is either a Sunbeam or Clipper model. The two tips are straight, but one is missing the tip guide, as you can see in the picture the end tip guide came off and not broken off. Also, middle guide on the middle section has broken thru the winding. This is my first bamboo rod and I bought it to fish. I was going to try WF6 wt. fly line to see if this is a 6-wt. rod, but I think I should have the rod repaired with new guides as the ones on the rod look rough and I think they would nick the fly line.
Also, If I get new guides and from what reading, on this Forum, most of the old bamboo fly rods did not have the optimum number of guides. The rod has one stripper guide on the butt section, which looks too small to me and three on the middle section and 3 guides and a tip guide on the top section. Should I add guides and where should I place them?
Thank you.

Gene

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: 8 ½ foot Montague Bamboo Fly Rod 3/2

Post by wrong66 »

It's a "Sunbeam".

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

It's also a perfect rod to learn some restoration on. Maybe even add guides and a larger stripper. There's a chance that the ferrules need to be re-set as well. I like 8 1/2' rods, they make great medium sized river rods and serve as all-rounders.

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

Webfly wrote:It's also a perfect rod to learn some restoration on. Maybe even add guides and a larger stripper. There's a chance that the ferrules need to be re-set as well. I like 8 1/2' rods, they make great medium sized river rods and serve as all-rounders.
+1

PAGene
Sport

Post by PAGene »

Thank you gentlemen, I guess I will need to research on how to replace guides on a bamboo rod and where to buy time period correct guides & tips. Again think you.
Gene

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

It should be a good rod to learn on. No bologna, Lebanon. Seriously, this is the place for all things bamboo with excursions into other interesting topics. Show us your progress.

tapermaker
Master Guide

Post by tapermaker »

the sunbeam would be a good rod to strip and replace w/ modern guides from snakebrand or pac bay. a new size 10 stripper and guides and tip tops can be had for 40-60 dollars less if dont usea agate stripper. check carefully for cracks in the ferrules. sunbeam and lower grade monty rods have brass plated chrome of inadaquate thickness and are known for cracking..if they are ,you can replace them for 32.00 a set at old english flyshop as well as all the guides and such. if you replace everything the rod will give you fishing rod you can use w/o worry of damage to your fly line. btw a good idea would be to use 4guides on the mid and 5 on the tip w/ a stripper and 1 guide on the butt for a total of 11.

PAGene
Sport

Post by PAGene »

Well gentlemen, while I was reading & researching about how to replace guides on a bamboo rod and where to guides & tips on my 8 ½ foot Montague, I came across a South Bend model 290 71/2 ft Rod With Two Tips. It doesn’t have a sock or tube and one tip has a set in it, but I’m hoping I got it a good price. I paid $100 please see the pictures. I probably start working on the other rod sometime later this summer, for now I want to try my new 209.

Gene

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

Great price for a really good rod.

redietz
Master Guide

Post by redietz »

crowebeetle wrote:Great price for a really good rod.
Agreed. The 290 is one of the best bangs for the buck out there, and you paid less than recent prices have suggested.

kilgore
Master Guide

Post by kilgore »

A 290 with two tips in good condition is $300-450 so you got a great deal. It is a sweet casting rod. I have read that a 406 6 wt. line is best with it although I have a Cortland on a South Bend 1133 reel and it is also very good.

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”