Heddon Bill Stanley #20 dating

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

chawri364

Heddon Bill Stanley #20 dating

Post by chawri364 »

I have recently acquired the above model in the 9' version, and according to catalogs viewed on these pages I believe it to be 1940 vintage. The indicators are the downloading plastic reel seat and the agate first guide. The only "specific" agate reference in the catalog is the year 1940. Did other years continue the agate use and only list as perfection guides? That's what I see for all other subsequent years. Thanks for this forum, I'm a new member.

chawri364

Re: Heddon Bill Stanley #20 dating

Post by chawri364 »

Sorry I failed to catch the spell check insertion of downloading... of course here most know it to be downlocking as typed. It has nickel silver cap, hood, and locking ring NOT plastic as we also know.

tunafart
Master Guide

Post by tunafart »

Hi Chawri -
Welcome to the long, slippery slope of the Forum.
And, yea, I hate Autocorrect too.
I have a couple #20 BSFs, 2 3/4Fs, that I use for pike in Canada. Like 'em a lot.

The other half of your Heddon 'version' is the ferrule size, the 'x'-F number charmingly hand-printed on the shaft by Cleo Handley that will denote it's 'preferred' line weight (and ferrule sizes), a particularly arcane designation unique to Heddon. Numerous descriptions and interpretations of it can be found in a Forum 'Search', one of the 'gem' functions of this web site.

'#20' BSFs were a step-up in the Heddons production series as they, and higher numbered models, were carried through construction mostly by a single maker rather than a series of specialty craftsmen. They 'may' have higher quality cane than 'lower' grades, but did likely benefit by a more focused attention-to-detail by their maker.

Along with the treasure of the actual catalog series found here on the Forum (see 'Info About Maker & Manufactures' sub-forum) find yourself access to Michael Sinclair's 'Rod Restoration' and 'Heddon, Rod with the Fighting Heart' books for a wealth of model and design specs.
'Truth' will lie somewhere among the accumulated pages of all three.
paul
charleston sc

chawri364

Post by chawri364 »

Thanks Paul/tunafart for the welcome and guidance! I had gathered about the ferrule size and line suggestions through many other discussions and will certainly check out the access to Sinclair's book, which I was really hoping for. Keep the good dialog going all, I really appreciate it. Charlie

chawri364

Post by chawri364 »

Did I post in the wrong category, is BSF #20 unpopular, or just an uninteresting question? I have other details and questions if I can crack the ice here. Thanks again, Charlie

redietz
Master Guide

Post by redietz »

No, it's not unpopular, nor is it an uninteresting question. I just don't have the answer and expect the same may be true for a lot of others.

What exactly is written on the rod? (Pictures would help as well.)

tunafart
Master Guide

Post by tunafart »

We're big on pictures. They really help give those you are asking the confidence to share what they know.
The Post Image 'add image to post' link in the lower-left reply composing box is (at the moment) free and pretty easy to use.

This is a relevant link found using the 'Search' inquiry by pasting the title of your post:
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=34509&p=107695&hil ... ng#p107695

There is LOTS more stuff, literally years of stuff, about BSF#20s in the archive.

paul

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”