My Mistake Help!

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

My Mistake Help!

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I apparently can't count.... I wanted a big two handed salmon rod, so I got a 12 footer from Ebay, but.......
I neglected to count, so here I am with a HUGE project. Really, I need help to possibly identify what I have. This is it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Unmark ... true&rt=nc

Can you see my mistake?

Jay Edwards

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: My Mistake Help!

Post by jim royston »

looks like you're missing a section

bamboocollector11
Master Guide

Post by bamboocollector11 »

As Jim said, a 16' rod missing a section. It may be difficult finding Chubbesque reinforced ferrules in that 4' mid section length.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, This is a winter project I'm thinking. 1, 2, 3, ..... Oh well, I'll have to make the whole section including ferrules. The varnish is a horror, but other than a few missing guides and, of course a four foot piece it's there. Can a guess as to date and maker be made? Chubbesque seems as though it was a hint.........

Jay Edwards

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

I have always thought those reinforced ferrules to have originated with Chubb in the 1890's but I can't cite a source for that. I know JB Daniels used them well into the 20th century and have even seen a Wheeler salmon rod with them.

TheMontyMan
Global Moderator

Post by TheMontyMan »

I think timeline matters on this one. Am I imagining things or does it have trumpet guides on the butt section, English twist snake guides on the mid section and hanging ring guides on the tip section???

It looks like typical Chubb hardware. If the English twist snake guides are original, I'd slap a date on it no later than about 1895 and as late as 1925. If the hanging ring guides are original, I'd date it no later than 1910, and who knows how early. Silk windings look like 1890's or later to me.

In general, Montague tended to use fancier silk winding patterns. If this falls into a later date range, I'd be leaning towards Montague rather than Chubb as the maker.

It doesn't look like anyone else's work to me, for the estimated time frames.

. . . Rex
The Monty Man

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, It seems to me the guides would be original by appearance and condition, odd, but..... The ferrules are the 'main attraction', but do they define a time and a maker? I certainly dunno.. I think I'm gonna have ferrule tubing, but the reinforcing sleeve may end up bar stock. I mean cripes it's got a 20 ferrule on the tip! Most everything is in good shape somewhere under there. I got a big 'ol Malloch with NS rims, and ebonite and brass for my CB&M that fits right on this beast. It was to much, I thought, for the CB&M. That's it no more for me. I mean 123-4? What a Maroon.......... [Bugs]

Jay Edwards

OldCane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by OldCane »

I've got some NOS reinforced ferrule sets floating around here, not exactly matching, but Chubb/Montague ferrules, I believe. Off the top of my head, I'll guess they're about 18/64's.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a DD214.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Thanks OldCane, I just mic'd the tip above the ferrule at .300, so a 19 ferrule. I'm resigned to making a set of ferrules and 'upper mid' for this rod. It shouldn't be as bad as the Malleson set of spike ferrules, I made last winter. Well, actually it'll probably be worse. It'll be a winter project for the most part. Thanks for for your offer........

Jay Edwards

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

Some Chubb catalogs can be viewed online. The earliest use of their reinforced ferrules that I could find was in the 1888 catalog but that's not necessarily the introduction year. It's odd to me that while the reinforced ferrule was an option on the the Doctor Baxter model in '88, and standard on the same rod 20 years later, their hardware pages don't clearly show what they look like. The catalog cut for the Dr. Baxter gives you an idea.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi guys, Dr. Baxter, I wonder who he was? An eight strip, sixteen foot rod, Wow! The ferrules on mine are pretty fancy with a lot of decorative grooves on both the reinforcing sleeves and the rather wide welt. I'll just have to do some counting so I get the proper number. But wait! I've already proven myself to be poor at counting.
So, I did look at an on line Chubb PDF catalog. $22.00 seems like a a good deal on a Dr. Baxter. But, the Dr. Henshall-Van Antwerp and other reels are to die for. They had a lot of eight strip rods too.There was this from WallyWorld:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Retail-Catal ... r/53574978

I cast a Winston eight strip at the Denver show, and I thought it was very accurate. Of course, a coupla casts and a little luck doesn't really tell you much. I did get that ten foot A&I eight strip a while back. It's a useless noodle, but extremely interesting.

Jay Edwards

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

At a pound and a half plus, try working that rod all day long. Serious body-building!

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

bluesjay wrote:
06/13/20 23:03
Hi guys, Dr. Baxter, I wonder who he was? An eight strip, sixteen foot rod, Wow! The ferrules on mine are pretty fancy with a lot of decorative grooves on both the reinforcing sleeves and the rather wide welt. I'll just have to do some counting so I get the proper number.
Jay

Any chance you can furnish us with a closeup of the female butt ferrule?

Jeff

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I'll try.....

Jay

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”