Edwards 6' Quad Evaluation

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

maperry12
Sport

Edwards 6' Quad Evaluation

Post by maperry12 »

I have been very fortunate to acquire a very nice Edwards 6' Quad Ultralight with the original sleeve and leather case. It is also marked "Special" and has the previous owner's name on it. I'm hoping to get an evaluation on the rod along with the current untouched unrestored value and value after restoration. Info on who I can contact to get this rod back to original condition and if I even should would be appreciated.

It was basically a sight unseen buy. I really wasn't sure on what I was getting. I knew it was a true 2/2 so it was either a 41 through 43 if the pictures were as presented. I wasn't told the length of the rod. You never know, by experience, if the condition reports are accurate. Actually, 2 of the rods I purchased weren't.

The rod is in excellent condition and is all correct. All the sections are correct length. It has all eyelets, and intermediates. I have seen reference to the red tape that is on the cork in previous threads as being applied by individuals to measure how long the fish are as caught. I believe that this tape is reminiscence of how Edwards secured the plastic cover over the cork. You can see in the pictures that there are still remnants of the original plastic covering the cork handle secured by the tape.

The varnish will have to be buffed out or restored and the bottom reel seat is crack. My stomach dropped when I saw the old cloth tape on the bottom seat and peeled it back and saw the damage. See picture. Hopefully that is something that can be repaired or replaced without too much difficulty.

Thank you for any information you can provide.

jimwright
Master Guide

Re: Edwards 6' Quad Evaluation

Post by jimwright »

The tip piece in the top photo next to the tape appears to be short.

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

I don't see that.

resman549
Sport

Post by resman549 »

Nor do I

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

Doesn't look short at all.
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

jimwright
Master Guide

Post by jimwright »

To me, in the 2 photos showing the butt and both tips, the tip in the middle looks shorter at the ferrule and tip top compared to the tip laying under it in the photos.

jmcj1984
Guide

Post by jmcj1984 »

I have recently bought a 6 2/2 Edwards quad as well it had been totally buffed out all original thread ,guides were intact ,correct tube and sock ,mine has a unusual opaque winding check confirmed to be original by Dana Grey. I payed $1200 which I feel in todays market is top of the scale 6 to 8 years ago I would have payed double that and been happy times change, yours with the varnish work needed my guess is $750 800 or leave as is fish it with little worry since the fish don’t care,as to repair the varnish repair many can do that might cost $200 plus depending on how deep they go or if they strip down and leave all thread. Contact Dana Grey or Steve Blake they probably have a year or more waiting list,there are many more people who can do the work best of luck

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Interesting that two more 6 ft. 2/2 Edwards Quadrates have surfaced. Here's mine, and it might be slightly earlier than the OP's judging by the bag and tube.

Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

maperry12
Sport

Post by maperry12 »

Very nice! Thanks all for the input. What year would you say mine was built? It would seem that it's pretty much a buyer's market at this point in time. Looking back in the forum threads the prices look to be half of what it was several years ago for the 6' version. Maybe it'll come back around. Still a respectable amount. Does that mean the other longer models have dropped that significantly?

I am hoping there are other accomplished restorers out there that could complete the restoration of this rod in a shorted time frame than a year. Any ideas are appreciated.

What do you think of the red tape? Was it to hold the protective plastic or just something put on by the owner? The plastic would probably tear off if it's removed.

Thanks
MAP

resman549
Sport

Post by resman549 »

I would give Dennis Menscher a call. His work is excellent and his turn around time is far quicker than most.

solo8232000
Guide

Post by solo8232000 »

Chris Bogart restored my Edwards Quadrate #41 a few years back. Unlike yours the rod I bought was a total basket case and he did a great jog..all wraps had to be redone, the cork was ruined..Could not be happier with the work Chris did...He also restored a Leonard 501/2DF for me that was actually in worse shape than the Edwards!! Likewise he did a great job on that one as well..A couple of years back one of the tips on the Leonard caved in to a very energetic rainbow . The tip broke right above the ferrule..Made me sick to say the least. Was not sure the tip could be repaired, but again Chris came through and did a marvelous job. Every bit of the tip was there and the area of the break to the uneducated eye would be undetectable..Great job..and I have fished it since the repairs and it works great..did not effect the action as far as I can tell..

Trout120-1
Master Guide

Post by Trout120-1 »

Send it to Tim Zietek. He does a great job.

maperry12
Sport

Post by maperry12 »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have sent the rod to Dana Gray for a minor restore. Looking forward to showing it off to the forum readers when I get it back.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

definitely one of the ugliest butt caps I have seen and it and a Wheeler are running side by side in a race as the Ugliest B.C. ever. Restoring the WHeeler and it is in worse shape than this B.C. Neat old rod!!!

maperry12
Sport

Post by maperry12 »

Thanks Gnome. You would think that these quality rods would have a more substantial butt cap. Apparently they are a weak link in the construction of these rods as they split like mine on occasion.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

The cracked butt cap on the OP's rod is not unusual. Many of Bill Edwards' Quadrates had various Tenite (an early cellulosic plastic developed in 1929) parts which were susceptible to breakage and/or shrinkage over the years.

That said, in their original forms--of which there were many--his reel seats were both attractive and functional, IMHO. Unfortunately, it is very hard to find replacement parts today that duplicate the originals.

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”