Orvis impregnated Battenkill 8 1/2

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Marcus C

Orvis impregnated Battenkill 8 1/2

Post by Marcus C »

My dad acquired this rod a few years ago and we have tried a few avenues to get it appraised and ID’d. I would love any Info on the rod. It is in excellent condition, has 2 tips that are the same length as the base. Came in a bag and it all slides into the aluminum tube. I have some pictures that I’ll try to post as well. Thanks in advance!

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Orvis impregnated Battenkill 8 1/2

Post by Webfly »

Excellent first posting and photos. The rod was built in 1981 and appears to be in great condition. It is a longer, heavier rod, probably good for big trout waters, bass or even steelhead. It makes it a little less desirable in the bamboo world, nevertheless, there are some that seek this configuration out. Value is probably in the 450-500 range. Nice rod!

Marcus C

Post by Marcus C »

Awesome! Thank you for the info. Would this be a decent rod for small coastal fish? Sea trout, small reds, snapper... also, would I be correct that it would line an 8wt line?

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

Perfect and Yes, a 7 or 8 might work! The hardware components may not be the most seaworthy, but a thorough cleaning after each use would be in order.

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

The 8 1/2-foot, 4 3/4-oz, 14/64-ferrule taper has a slow-action. Orvis recommended a 7 or 8 weight line for it depending on the production year. Its action was intended to allow use of lighter tippets, but with big-fish capability. I mostly use mine for nymphs and streamers in the winter and early season with a DT7 line and like it.

Fly fishing author Joe Brooks suggested a rod of the type to Orvis, and it’s informally known in the bamboo rod enthusiast community as the “Joe Brooks model”. He mentioned the rod in his writing.

It was initially cataloged in 1965 and was made through 1981. During the tapers production life, it was available in Battenkill (1965-1981), "99" (1965-1966) and Madison (1969-1981) grades.

I added your Battenkill to my database and it will appear online in the January update.

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”