Southbend Cross Doublebuilt Model 255 9' Rod

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

bill.bowman1

Southbend Cross Doublebuilt Model 255 9' Rod

Post by bill.bowman1 »

I am trying to find information on a South Bend Cross Doublebuilt Model 255 9' Fly Rod - HCH or C Serial # 047A147. It was my Grandfathers & I never learned to Fly Fish. How Old is the rod, type of fish it was designed for, type of action, type of line needed. Does this rod have any value? The rod is in excellent condition. Any help would be appreciated. Bill

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Southbend Cross Doublebuilt Model 255 9' Rod

Post by jeffkn1 »

The 255 Cross is the same as a 155, except with a medium brown finish instead of a blond finish. The 155 is a bass bug rod, so that's what you have. No one knows how to decipher the serial numbers. A modern DT7 would work on rods marked HCH. Value is heavily dependent on condition, which is largely subjective, and completeness, i.e. sections of equal length, original bag and tube, and other considerations. Photos are needed to demonstrate the condition and to help in dating the rod. Here is a catalog page entry for the 155. Click on the image to enlarge it.

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”