Granger Denver Specials appraisal

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Hansted

Granger Denver Specials appraisal

Post by Hansted »

Hi,
I'm interested in an appaisal of 2 Granger 2nd era Denver rods. Photos attached. Thank you!

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Granger Denver Specials appraisal

Post by Webfly »

Absolutely need more info, such as length and such. From the photos, it looks like a bunch of tips with many that have been broken.

Hansted

Post by Hansted »

Thank you for responding, I'm just getting acquainted with the rods - there are 2: 1 is 8'10" long the other is 9' long. There are 2 extra tips: 1 is 32" the other is 37".

There isn't anything that indicates to me that any of them have been broken, what do you see that makes you think that? All the segments seem straight and solid.
Thank you for your assistance.

wineslob
Master Guide

Post by wineslob »

They were probably both 9 foot rods. The tips/mids/butt sections (see only one?) should be all the same length

Vaughanwilson3022
Master Guide

Post by Vaughanwilson3022 »

A 37” length would be for 9’ rod. Some wraps at guides appear to be different color - they should all be red. Looks like 1 butt section, 2 mid sections and 2 tips. All sections should be equal length as indicated by webfly. Value is low due to issues indicated - I’d say less than $100.
Last edited by Vaughanwilson3022 on 06/23/20 08:24, edited 1 time in total.

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

37" sections are typical of a 3-piece 9-foot rod.

Hansted, I'd agree with what was stated already, that what you have is less than $100 in value. The most common areas for breakage are at the ends of each section. Rather than simply throw them away, most people re-mount the ferrules or tip tops. You end up with usable sections that allow the rod to be fished, but the market for rods with sections of assorted lengths is near nil.

MGrallert
Guide

Post by MGrallert »

You might find that the parts are worth something to a restorer.

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

Offer them for sale in the classified section and see if there is interest rather than using them for tomato stakes

bamboocollector11
Master Guide

Post by bamboocollector11 »

List them!

bamboo rodley
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bamboo rodley »

It would be necessary first to determine whether all the parts are actually Granger. Why would there be three tip sections, or two mid sections, unless they came from different rods. The ferrules and reel seats would be worth money if they are in good shape, but only if they are Granger, not some other brand. I agree as well, less than $100, closer to $50 or $60.

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”