Foster Split cane rod help

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Tinman79

Foster Split cane rod help

Post by Tinman79 »

Hi, new to the group and was hoping someone could give me some advice on a fly rod i have, it's a split cane rod made by Foster, it has "The Dual" written on both rod butts, I think it maybe from the 1960's, it has two butts, one middle section and one end section, i believe the butts are interchangeable to alter the length of the rod.

Is it a collectable rod? has it any value? it's in pretty good condition

Paul B
Master Guide

Re: Foster Split cane rod help

Post by Paul B »

Fosters rods have no real value , I would either fish it or use it as a wall decoration.

Tinman79

Post by Tinman79 »

Ahh ok, that's a shame, it's in great condition, i'm into coarse fishing so it may just end up as a decoration.

DBH

Post by DBH »

Sounds like a nice rod that would be fun to fish- enjoy it

River Dove

Post by River Dove »

Dear Tinman, I collect & use Fosters rods so rather then the Dual being just for decoration I would be pleased to purchase it form you.

Dr. Heller
Sport

Post by Dr. Heller »

That Foster cane rods are of no real value is nonsens. They are less known than some famous makers rods but the quality of workmanship and the very fine finish are first-class. They are underestimated and on auction go cheaper than Hardys and Pezon rods. Keep it and enjoy it fishing and to look at.

Mahseer
Guide

Post by Mahseer »

They certainly claimed to have made significant contributions to the development of fly fishing in Britain. Page 3 has the listing for the "Dual" which apparently could be used in 4 combinations. Looks like you can try some classic coarse fishing with it.

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”