Divine Spiral Rod

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Woodlakejag
Master Guide

Re: Divine Spiral Rod

Post by Woodlakejag »

Those organizations do great work, but what they do for outreach is not the same as setting up a large display of rods at the Denver Fly Fishing Show. I've never seen a rod display by the AMFF or the CFFC at any of the large shows I've been to. It's too much work, time, and effort for them to do it and the CFFC doesn't have the rods to do it.
My two cents.
Facebook - Bamboo Fly Rod Identification and Value
Instagram - vintagebambooflyrods

Woodlakejag
Master Guide

Post by Woodlakejag »

I haven’t been fortunate enough to see the GTRS yet or visit the AMFF, but I’ve been to the Catskill museum several times. Great people, great organization, but they have very few rods on display and what rods they do have out aren’t particularly historic. There’s a rack downstairs with a labeled space for a Kosmic rod, but no rod. It’s been empty since I started going five years ago. Always makes me wonder. I’m not sure I would be comfortable donating a rod to them.
I’m not saying they don’t do great work, because they do. I’m just saying that I would donate money before donating a rod, and if I donated a rod I would ask a lot of questions, like how they inventory their collection and how the inventory is accounted for and controlled.
Facebook - Bamboo Fly Rod Identification and Value
Instagram - vintagebambooflyrods

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

I think those are fair questions to ask of any donation recipient. No museum large or small fills every need nor does it satisfy everyone. It's just nice to have some oversight and accountability.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I go to see the GTRS when and where I can. I've seen it at least a half dozen times. I have reverentially touched a Murphy. Jeff does a great job! It's a labor of love. I'd love to go to Roscoe and Manchester, but..... I'm not sure how the GTRS will compare in longevity to an 'institution.' The spiral Divine would be divine to see.

Jay Edwards

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

I think the GTRS is the way to go, rather than being stored in some back room or warehouse. If the Kosmic slot has been empty for five years, it doesn't bode well for any future rods that are donated. Just my opinion, as I know how Jeff would showcase it.

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

We've totally lost our way from the OP's fantastic piece of history.

So I'll add my 2 copper pieces ... I've visited the AMFF multiple times, done research there etc. and though they are very hospitable and welcoming, they lack a professionally cataloged, documented, searchable collection. They are a professional museum and they have a great collection that needs professional help. Two years ago they had a mandate and money to move to professional museum collection software, and I don't know the status of that at this point, but it's critical they get this done. Yoshi and the staff are wonderful, but if something happens to one of them there will be a great loss, because a great deal of the information is in human memory. It appears they have been overly focused on the funding especially from NYC, and maybe failed to manage the archive as they should have.

Jeff, you've done a fantastic job getting your collection documented, but have you made a plan for the collection if something should happen to you? I realize you have a great deal of dollars invested, but you also have donations to that collection so it's incumbent that you make a plan so that collection is never lost.

Carlson Rod
Master Guide

Post by Carlson Rod »

Jeff, I think your assertion that your "museum" is viewed by 25,000 people per annum may be a bit optimistic, but no matter. The point I was making was that a non-profit museum, with a location, a reputation, regular business hours, a curation staff and a board of directors might be a better choice. Yours is a private collection, much like mine, which you choose to share with others when it suits you. And that's fine! If the current owner would prefer a sale, that's certainly their right, as it is your right to buy it. But let's not pretend that it's better for John Q. Angler in the long run.
I think Short Tip’s comment about optimism is well founded here, seeing how the attendance at the Denver Fly Fishing Show is about 13,000 annually (The Fly Fishing Show’s own numbers not mine), not the 20-30K stated.
The Somerset NJ (now Edison) show has long been the flagship venue for The Fly Fishing Show. It has the highest public attendance of any of their shows, with the hopes of getting 12-15K people through the gates each year, but occasionally do not realize that goal. The Denver show has become a close second in recent years.
That being said, I wish the OP the best of luck in choosing the right place to donate his rod or hope he gets fair compensation for his rod, whichever avenue he elects to go down. Hell, he could throw it out on the highway if he so chooses. But if I was to give an item as an outright donation, a public institution is by far a better choice in my opinion. Not a private vehicle where the plug can be pulled at the whim of an individual, which apparently has either been done or threatened to be done in the past, right here on these pages.
Carlsonrod

Bamboocollector#1
Master Guide

Post by Bamboocollector#1 »

Now that we know this rod is in the hands of a 4th generation owner and family member, could you ever recommend selling it to someone else except in a case of no further generations or a desperate need for cash due to a catastrophic event; not I.

I've been to the AFFM a couple of times, the CFFM every year at least once for the last 5 or 6 years, and I have seen Gnomes traveling rod show.

The issue for me is that I suggest it stay in the family and be loaned to an organization or traveling rod road show where it will be seen. The CFFM, where I am a member, does not own a lot of rods so what they have is usually out on display for quite some time. The AFFM has tons of rods, and many do not see the light of day often. Some AFFM rods are auctioned off; I just saw a Leonard with the museums markings get sold this week for a second time on ebay. Jeff's traveling rod show when on display is there for all to see, and Jeff and one or more of us "cronies" are there to answer questions and provide information when asked. Watching young people in the 10-18 year range marvel over the age and history if our sport, is something to see.

So if I owned this rod and was not a collector(God forbid) I would keep the rod in my family and lend it to an institution or rod show with my plaque showing it is loaned by my family and seen by as many interested people as possible to increase their knowledge and wonder at our sport.
Previously known as bamboocollector11

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

roycestearns wrote:
07/22/20 17:16
We've totally lost our way from the OP's fantastic piece of history.

So I'll add my 2 copper pieces ... I've visited the AMFF multiple times, done research there etc. and though they are very hospitable and welcoming, they lack a professionally cataloged, documented, searchable collection. They are a professional museum and they have a great collection that needs professional help. Two years ago they had a mandate and money to move to professional museum collection software, and I don't know the status of that at this point, but it's critical they get this done. Yoshi and the staff are wonderful, but if something happens to one of them there will be a great loss, because a great deal of the information is in human memory. It appears they have been overly focused on the funding especially from NYC, and maybe failed to manage the archive as they should have.

Jeff, you've done a fantastic job getting your collection documented, but have you made a plan for the collection if something should happen to you? I realize you have a great deal of dollars invested, but you also have donations to that collection so it's incumbent that you make a plan so that collection is never lost.
Royce
Right now it is in my final will and testament That upon my passing it goes to the Colorado State historical society as a travelling exhibit to be loaned to accredited museums within the national museum system. Best I can do and there needs to be a museum west of the Mississippi, not all should be on the east coast IMHO. Pretty noble and appropriate place I believe.

And If the AMFF has such great traveling displays how come they are rarely seen west of the Mississippi?,
and for those who have nothing but criticism for me and the "GTRS" build up a display of that magnitude and pack it all over the country for 18 years and then lets set down and talk. Walk a mile in my moccasins. Do what I have done (exhibit now covers over 65 Lineal feet with just under 200 rods) not to shabby for a passion driven individual on a very limited income. That equals trout bum wages :eek :eek :eek

And thanks for all of the support from the guys back east When the GTRS was at the somerset show and that is just one of the multiple times it has been in Somerset and not once in that time frame has there been a AMFF display anywhere near Colorado. With that much support and knowledge and such a deep repository they should be able to do what I am doing and do it better so why dont they?

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”