Divine Spiral Rod

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

16parachuteadams
Master Guide

Re: Divine Spiral Rod

Post by 16parachuteadams »

Acquired a Divine spiral a couple of years ago, and like you, decided to get the the care needed to stabilize the rod, but not refinish. In talking with Michael he suggested that the degree of twist was applied so that an appropriate flat appeared where a guide was desired. The twist is increased as you go down the rod due to the closer spacing of the guides. I'd be happy to loan Gnome my sample for photo purposes.

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

Excellent.

I love how we go along .. occupied Japan rod, estimate to sell the next ebay gold mine, plastic rod mistake, and then boom ! a rare Divine Spiral rod.

Fishercougdad

Post by Fishercougdad »

Fishercoug’s Dad here, just to give a little more background on this Devine rod and some others. My father gave me this package of old rods back in the mid-1980’s, because he’d inherited them from his father, he knew that I did a little fly fishing, and he himself hadn’t fished in many years. In my own cursory study of this collection I judged only one rod to be worth actually fishing with, a big long soft bamboo Shakespeare Rod Company piece which I then used mostly at Echo Lake up in the Sierra Nevada for several summers. Finally my own fishing waned and about ten years ago history repeated itself as I passed the whole bundle (less the Shakespeare) on to Dave, who in addition to being a good fisherman is a zealous and careful restorer of old things.
My grandfather was born in 1869 in Springfield, Massachusetts and lived there all his life save for his last year. So he was in his late 20’s when this Devine rod was made. I know nothing about his own fishing habits except that they used to vacation on the Maine coast at Pemaquid Point, which may explain why some of the old rods in this bunch look like thick surf-casting rods to my untrained eye.
That’s about all I know about these rods. It’s so fun meeting all of you old-rod enthusiasts!
Richard Colton
Fishrrcougdad

Kenneth
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Kenneth »

Welcome to the forum, Richard and son, and thanks much for the great back story!

Most serendipitous, a very rare Divine with complete provenance, I would echo recommendations that this rod, if at all possible, be part of Jeff's GTRS. No better custodian, methinks.

All the best and keep safe,
Kenneth

troutnut
Master Guide

Post by troutnut »

I also recommend being part of Jeff's GTRS show. I have seen it numerous times and everytime I see it there is something new. Jeff is the best historin that I know about bamboo fly rods.
Fred

Woodlakejag
Master Guide

Post by Woodlakejag »

Knowing who the original purchaser was of an 1890s rod is very, very, rare. Whatever you decide to do with it, whether it’s the GTRS or the Catskill Museum, write that information down and keep it with the rod.
Facebook - Bamboo Fly Rod Identification and Value
Instagram - vintagebambooflyrods

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

16parachuteadams wrote:
07/16/20 12:03
Acquired a Divine spiral a couple of years ago, and like you, decided to get the the care needed to stabilize the rod, but not refinish. In talking with Michael he suggested that the degree of twist was applied so that an appropriate flat appeared where a guide was desired. The twist is increased as you go down the rod due to the closer spacing of the guides. I'd be happy to loan Gnome my sample for photo purposes.
May have to take you up on that offer!!

And maybe the offer I threw out of a trade for a custom GRW version of the spiral for the spiral might get a little interest.

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cwfly »

The rod is now in the fourth generation of the same family.
I would be inclined to make it five.
But that's just my opinion.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

PM sent please reply fishcoug. Made a special offer to you in the PM

Carlson Rod
Master Guide

Post by Carlson Rod »

cwfly wrote:
07/18/20 09:34
+1

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Carlson Rod wrote:
07/20/20 07:56
cwfly wrote:
+1
If this were the case, I see no reason why it couldn't be loaned to the GTRS SO that many could see it, rather than have it stored in a closet or worse, in the garage. It isn't a rod that will get fished.

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

Wow, what a neat and rarely seen rod! Congratulations.
cwfly wrote:
I would second that suggestion. And if you do wish to donate, both the AMFF and the CFFC are registered non-profits open to the public. Both have large collections which rotate periodically, as is the case in nearly every museum. But they are the best repositories of our fly fishing history.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

More people see the GTRS every year than the CFFHC and the AMFF combined, generally, the GTRS is viewed by in excess of 25,000+ anglers every year considering the Fly fishing show and its additional travels, when a rod is in the GTRS it is viewable and open for hands-on study. Some are even castable and under the right conditions that happen's. I did make an offer valuing 2400.00 for the rod in trade, have not heard back. Best of both worlds, a fishable copy of the Divine and the rod goes into a traveling museum to be seen and enjoyed by anglers all over the country not just 1 static place where people have to get to to see it. It might come to a venue much closer if in the "GTRS".

Carlson Rod
Master Guide

Post by Carlson Rod »

Short Tip wrote:
07/20/20 11:20
Wow, what a neat and rarely seen rod! Congratulations.
cwfly wrote:
I would second that suggestion. And if you do wish to donate, both the AMFF and the CFFC are registered non-profits open to the public. Both have large collections which rotate periodically, as is the case in nearly every museum. But they are the best repositories of our fly fishing history.
+1 & well said

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

Gnome wrote:
07/21/20 06:32
More people see the GTRS every year than the CFFHC and the AMFF combined, generally, the GTRS is viewed by in excess of 25,000+ anglers every year considering the Fly fishing show and its additional travels, when a rod is in the GTRS it is viewable and open for hands-on study. Some are even castable and under the right conditions that happen's. I did make an offer valuing 2400.00 for the rod in trade, have not heard back. Best of both worlds, a fishable copy of the Divine and the rod goes into a traveling museum to be seen and enjoyed by anglers all over the country not just 1 static place where people have to get to to see it. It might come to a venue much closer if in the "GTRS".
Jeff, I think your assertion that your "museum" is viewed by 25,000 people per annum may be a bit optimistic, but no matter. The point I was making was that a non-profit museum, with a location, a reputation, regular business hours, a curation staff and a board of directors might be a better choice. Yours is a private collection, much like mine, which you choose to share with others when it suits you. And that's fine! If the current owner would prefer a sale, that's certainly their right, as it is your right to buy it. But let's not pretend that it's better for John Q. Angler in the long run.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Short Tip wrote:
07/21/20 14:15
Gnome wrote:
07/21/20 06:32
Jeff, I think your assertion that your "museum" is viewed by 25,000 people per annum may be a bit optimistic, but no matter. The point I was making was that a non-profit museum, with a location, a reputation, regular business hours, a curation staff and a board of directors might be a better choice. Yours is a private collection, much like mine, which you choose to share with others when it suits you. And that's fine! If the current owner would prefer a sale, that's certainly their right, as it is your right to buy it. But let's not pretend that it's better for John Q. Angler in the long run.
Going off of the numbers at the gate at the Fly Fishing Show in Denver, the show averages between 20 AND 30k in attendance every year so you saying that number is off is not right. And where the display is set up anyone going to a talk or demonstration walk right by it so 95% or more of the attendees at the show see it more than once. And then add in the other venues over the year and that number is a very fair estimation of the anglers that do see the display over the course of a typical year. So I will not let that statement go without me challenging it. You sir are wrong.

The GTRS is seen by a very large number of anglers every year and at the Denver show alone it is seen by way more than would see it if it was buried in the rod archives at the AMFF, rarely seen and definitely not in a permanent display. MHO

Back to the thread; that is an awesome rod and it would have an honored place in the GTRS. Should the owner decide!
And we have had a couple of PMs about the rod. I believe Dave has a good handle on it and will do what is best for the rod!! Great guy to communicate with!!!

Woodlakejag
Master Guide

Post by Woodlakejag »

Another thing about the GTRS being at large shows is that it’s seen by many people who otherwise wouldn’t have an interest in historic rods, as opposed to people who go to museums to see them. As a result, having the GTRS at large shows has significant potential to (and likely does) bring new people into the hobby. That’s important.
Facebook - Bamboo Fly Rod Identification and Value
Instagram - vintagebambooflyrods

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

+1 for the GTRS, it’s much better than AMMF and Jeff is awesome. Always willing to share knowledge of history as well as modern rod making. Sorry for the shameless plug but it is true.
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Gentlemen Thank you for your support!! It means the world to me!

The GTRS will be back in Denver at the show this coming January and it will be there in its phase V expansion which will include 5 or 6 additional shadow boxes. It does bring new anglers into the fold of bamboo because we talk history and I pull a rod or two out to be handled and then we stick a modern bamboo in their hands and send them to the casting pool.

We then proceed to destroy some of the myths around bamboo and by doing that we do get recruitment to the group. Happy to continue the job of a modern Iconoclast, tearing down long-held beliefs and views concerning bamboo. That DIvine would help tell the story and even though I am not an accredited Curator and I do have staff because there are times at the shows where 5 or 6 of us can not handle the extreme numbers of visitors to the display.

And there is an established place to view the display 365 days a year if it is not traveling (It is called the "Cave" and all are welcome to come and visit it with prior arrangements and fish the lower gunny with me!!). And yes it is a private museum but as a question how many times a year over the past 18 years has the AMFF or the CFFHC put together traveling displays and shared them across the whole country???

Nowhere near what the Gnome has done with his Private collection that I have always viewed as I am the curator and it belongs to all of my fellow anglers so I do my best to make sure it is shared to the fullest extent that I am capable of. It is a heavy responsibility but I do my best with it. even despite the detractors and naysayers. And wow I guess the GTRS does not have a reputation.

The only place you can see the evolution of the rod going back to the late 1700s displayed in semi-chronological order and covering over 97% of the known makers and build styles. And it has helped raise funds for many TU chapters and I do not see the AMFF raising money for others and the cause by doing a traveling display as I have done.

JL Hatton "Da Gnome"

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

Well, I'm glad we have a forum where information and ideas can be exchanged. As I said, you are certainly entitled to your opinion and your collection, as am I. I do see a bit of contradiction between what you're saying here and what you've said in the past.

The AMFF certainly does do outreach and send traveling exhibits, including a really nice one which landed in a small museum a few miles from my home in Virginia. They also publish a magazine and newsletter, as well as offering research facilities. The CFFC does similar, as does the National Sporting Library, the Rangeley Outdoor Heritage Museum, and I'm sure many others. It seems that some of the folks talking these institutions down may have a lack of familiarity or understanding.

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”