7’-6” 3wt Maslan Era EC Powell

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

pmcroberts
Master Guide

7’-6” 3wt Maslan Era EC Powell

Post by pmcroberts »

Looking to get an appraisal on a 7’-6” 3/2 3wt Maslan Era Powell Rod. Rod is all full length, hollowbuilt, alignment marks on ferrules. Came to me unfished. I have had it for a lot of years, and it remains unfished. It’s been lawn casted a few times and casted once at the Golden Gate Casting ponds. Just looking for a ballpark value. Powell’s are out of my wheelhouse so I would only be guessing!! Here are the pics:

Pics tell the story!! Thanks in advance,
Paul

GBU31v1
Guide

Re: 7’-6” 3wt Maslan Era EC Powell

Post by GBU31v1 »

Talk to Jim Adams in Berkeley. He has the ear of some buyers from Japan lately. All they want is primo rods like this and they are paying some serious coin for them...

https://www.adamsanglingbooks.com/

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Pretty rare rod I'd guess. jz2 has a 7' Maslan in 2-pcs and I thought it was a great small stream stick.

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

Looks just like a rod that Banjo offered to me back in like 2009-10 or so? Same specs and unusual seat. I am trying to stick to the earlier stuff myself, but should be a sweet rod. It's also a very well made Maslan from the look, vs his later stuff. Short Powells from any era are very tough to find. Condition looks very, very nice. OTOH, very few data points on value due to scarcity. It's quite a nice specimen! Checking with Jim is a good idea. For additional input, drop a line to Jim Clarkson at Raptor Rod Works, Per Brandin, and Rich Morrison as well at http://www.classicpowellrod.com/Home_Page.html

hopkintoncane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by hopkintoncane »

Someone like Per or Raptor should look at the rod for provenance but assuming its all correct, I would think a range of $2,800 to $4,200 might not be far off for that stick, but thats just an educated guess, I think the way the rod casts would work heavily into the value for a short 3-pc rod. Todd

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

FWIW, I have a 7'0" 2/2 ECP 4 wt. that appears to be a late Maslan era rod and a 7'6" 2/2 that also is a Maslan rod.
As has been stated, any ECP under 8'6" is a very rare rod indeed, IMHO.

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

canesterdf
Master Guide

Post by canesterdf »

Hmmm I have not seen a Tony Maslan Powell rod marked like that. Jim Adams would be the go to on that. Would like to hear more as Jim is quite knowledgeable on Powell rods going back at least 50 years... best of luck, Paul

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”