Hans Roeper No. 7 4-5wt.

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Ferdinandd

Hans Roeper No. 7 4-5wt.

Post by Ferdinandd »

Back in the early 80's, when I was an early teen, my brother and I attended a fly tying class, in Middletown, NY. It was conducted by members of the Wallkill Rod & Gun club. The class met weekly, and each class featured a different fly, to learn. At the end of the class, there was a drawing for a fly rod, and my brother's name was chosen. Keep in mind that my brother and I knew nearly nothing about fly rods. We had never even fly fished before. The rod was presented by one of the club's members - one Hans Roeper. My brother and I looked at it, and thought "cane pole". My brother made a weak attempt at using it, and lost interest in the rod. When he moved out of the house, he gave it to me. Later in life, I started fly fishing, with a Loomis rod, and realized that the old bamboo might be something special. I fished it a total of around 20 hours, I think.

1. The rod is 7' 6", assembled.
2. It is made up of three pieces, and has one tip.
3. The rod sections are the same length
4. Using the scale provided, I'd say the condition of the rod is 7-8, excellent. The carrying tube shown wear from handling and storage.
5. The rod has Hans' name, No. 7, Middletown, NY. The tube has a metallic sticker that reads "hand crafted by Hans Roeper", and in pen, on tape reads 3 pc, 7' 6", 4-5#.
6. The original bag/sleeve is included, in excellent condition. The tube is good, with screw-in cap intact

Not sure if the images will show up, but here goes.

ImageIMG_1177 by Dirk Rimstidt, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1179 by Dirk Rimstidt, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1180 by Dirk Rimstidt, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1178 by Dirk Rimstidt, on Flickr

Any guidance on value would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

samsonboi
Master Guide

Re: Hans Roeper No. 7 4-5wt.

Post by samsonboi »

Wow. Looks like an early one. (No. 7 coupled with the cosmetics)

Don’t know much more. Hans died in ‘92.
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

resman549
Sport

Re: Hans Roeper No. 7 4-5wt.

Post by resman549 »

Pm sent to you

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”