Angler's Cove Maker Id

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

maperry12
Sport

Angler's Cove Maker Id

Post by maperry12 »

I recently found a very nice Angler's Cove 7'6" 2/2 bamboo rod with sleeve and tube. Not sure if they came with the rod originally. The rod has all equal lengths. All hardware is intact. Wraps look good and the varnish looks like it it was done yesterday. It has Angler's Cove Resinized written on the rod above the winding check. You can see in the pictures that the sections are numbered and matching (#701). All I can see wrong is the cork is a bit dirty. I would give this rod a 9. The pictures don't do the color of the rod justice.

I'm curious about the maker and the value. I saw the thread discussing Bob Zwirz and the Angler's Cove Fly Shop in New York and the brief mention of Miney Hull or George Halstead possibly making rods for him. It seemed that the shop was open from late 50s into the 60s. Thank you for any information you might have.

maperry12
Sport

Re: Angler's Cove Maker Id

Post by maperry12 »

Here is another pic that shows the awesome color of the bamboo.

MadRiverTrout
Sport

Post by MadRiverTrout »

It looks like a beautiful rod. I'm not certain who the maker is; however, Bob Corsetti lists an Angler's Cove "Resinizer" by Sewall Dunton in his Spring 2006 (#41) Catalog. Bob's description follows and it appears to match your rod except for the blued ferrules:

"7 1/2', 2/2 for a 6 wt line. This fast action rod has brown wraps, blued NS ferrules and a screw DL reel seat with a black spacer. Overall condition is excellent original and comes with the original bag and tube. $275"

maperry12
Sport

Post by maperry12 »

Looking at other Sewall Dutton rods you seem to be dead on. That's definitely his seat. I appreciate the information.

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”