Any idea who made this rod and its unusual ferrules

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Smchang55
Sport

Any idea who made this rod and its unusual ferrules

Post by Smchang55 »

Got this in a mix bag of bamboo rods.Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Any idea who made this rod and its unusual ferrules

Post by wrong66 »

Show the rest of the rod. Re-enforced ferrules are nothing new, although I don't recall any quite like those.

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

Ferrules with reinforcing sleeves added were seen in the Chubb catalog beginning as early as 1888, and possibly earlier. They saw use on various Montagues as well, up to the Depression and maybe even later. The only other applications I can recall were rods from JB Daniels (Auburn, Maine) and he used them well past the turn of the last century. I also know of a 15' Wheeler salmon rod that has them, the only one from that maker that I know of. Post a photo of that rod's reel seat and perhaps we can find another clue.

Smchang55
Sport

Post by Smchang55 »

That’s all the pics I have. Put it into storage a few months ago till I get chance to restore it or not. Will have to find silk thread like that on rod too! The bones are good with no breaks or damage and all original guides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waltryan1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by waltryan1 »

Those ferrules similar to those on a J C Higgins 3012 that is clearly a Montague salmon rod that I have.

Walt

TheMontyMan
Global Moderator

Post by TheMontyMan »

Definitely Montague made, probably from the 1920's. It was near the top of the line-up at the time.

Montague continued using those reinforced female ferrules on the Gaspe model dry fly salmon rods up until the end of production.

Waltryan1's rod is a Gaspe trade rod built for Sears & Roebuck.

. . . Rex
The Monty Man

Smchang55
Sport

Post by Smchang55 »

A hundred year old rod!! Definitely will restore it. Thanks board and Rex. Is there a montague book??

Smchang55
Sport

Post by Smchang55 »

I have a Montague gaspse labeled rod. Ferrules are different from theses but it is in storage as well. I will look for it in my storage unit. Too many rods.

TheMontyMan
Global Moderator

Post by TheMontyMan »

The styling and welts may have changed over time, but the same basic reinforced design has been used by Montague on a few different models. Those used on the Gaspe were usually chrome plated. On the Manitou Dry Fly Salmon model they were often blackened.

A Montague book??? Yes, and no, there's a Montague book, though not yet published. It's splattered all over my hard drive (and in my head) and needs to be thrown into chapters and published before I depart this planet. Work and life seem to always get in the way.

When you get rolling on the restoration, I can get you pictures of the wrap pattern for that particular model. I have a handful of them. They are one of the few models adorned with 3 colors of silk - red, black and yellow/gold.

. . . Rex
The Monty Man

Smchang55
Sport

Post by Smchang55 »

Thanks. Given significance and era of the rod it’s going to move up in the restoration queue. Love to have you share pics of the rod. Are the ferrules nickel silver and the reel seat as well?. Want to know as to polish them. Thanks

TheMontyMan
Global Moderator

Post by TheMontyMan »

The ferrules and reel seat are nickel silver.

Let me know when you're about to start your restoration project and I'll dig out a good rod for wrap pattern reference.

. . . Rex
The Monty Man

Smchang55
Sport

Post by Smchang55 »

Hopefully start next month!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Smchang55
Sport

Post by Smchang55 »

Went to storage and found the rod. So any pictures would be helpful. Based on research from your previous postings back in 2008. Manitou Tournament 9ft.

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

TheMontyMan wrote:
07/24/20 14:15
The styling and welts may have changed over time, but the same basic reinforced design has been used by Montague on a few different models. Those used on the Gaspe were usually chrome plated. On the Manitou Dry Fly Salmon model they were often blackened.

A Montague book??? Yes, and no, there's a Montague book, though not yet published. It's splattered all over my hard drive (and in my head) and needs to be thrown into chapters and published before I depart this planet. Work and life seem to always get in the way.

When you get rolling on the restoration, I can get you pictures of the wrap pattern for that particular model. I have a handful of them. They are one of the few models adorned with 3 colors of silk - red, black and yellow/gold.

. . . Rex
The Monty Man
Rex, quit your job, abandon your personal life and write the book. You're a young guy. I fear most of us will depart this planet before it gets published. Just kidding, of course. Sort of...
Mark

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

+1

Smchang55
Sport

Post by Smchang55 »

Ditto

Smchang55
Sport

Post by Smchang55 »

Rex
In a Montague restoration of this type. What do you use for guides? I intend to wrap in silk per patterns that you will provide but need to order guides as some missing or corroded.

TheMontyMan
Global Moderator

Post by TheMontyMan »

Here are pictures of an older version of your rod. Reel seat hardware and winding check are a little different, but still the same model.

I hope this helps.

. . . Rex
The Monty Man

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”