Another Old Rod

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

FisherCoug

Another Old Rod

Post by FisherCoug »

Hello Forum,

I had so much fun learning from all of you about the Divine Spiral rod that I thought I would throw out another example for inspection.
This rod was also purchased by my Great Grand Father sometime around the turn of the century.
It is a 3/2, slightly over 9 feet long. The guides are ring-guides. It's case is tubular, made of wood and wrapped in felt. There are almost no markings on the rod save for a very faint circular image on the Butt just above the handle (see the last picture). I did my best to preserve that mark.

Obviously you will see that I have begun the restoration on all but the second tip. I hope you don't tell me that this Rod belonged to President McKinley and I have destroyed any value by scraping the wraps. ;)

Thanks in advance for any info.

Dave

Fish On!

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Another Old Rod

Post by wrong66 »

Your rod is an early Thomas Chubb, around the turn of the century. It appears there was once an acetate "Chubb" decal on the butt section. The hex ferrules are another giveaway. Very nice old rod. I like that reel seat. Very similar to one that was known to be Teddy Roosevelt's personal rod!
Mark
Last edited by wrong66 on 07/24/20 18:00, edited 1 time in total.

Woodlakejag
Master Guide

Post by Woodlakejag »

Another nice rod! I stated my views on refinishing in your last post, but I will say that when you are done refinishing this rod (don’t look back now!) you will have a family heirloom that you can go catch fish with, and you won’t have to worry as much about the cane breaking or getting exposed to water. That’s most likely what previous owners would want- for their rod to be out on the water, throwing line and hooking fish.
Facebook - Bamboo Fly Rod Identification and Value
Instagram - vintagebambooflyrods

TheMontyMan
Global Moderator

Post by TheMontyMan »

Dave, yet another beautiful, rare rod! As Mark pointed out, it once had a Chubb label on the cane above the grip. I have a couple of similar rods, but don't think I have one with the hex based ferrules. At least one of mine still ports the Chubb logo.

I love this style of wood reel seat. It really adds a special touch to a rod. Let me know if you need an example of the wrap pattern. I'd be glad to dig a couple of mine out and send you pictures for reference.

It will be a great family heirloom. If you ever decide to sell it, please let me know.

. . . Rex
The Monty Man

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

That one deserves the full restoration and a visit to the waters by you and your family for many generations to come!!1 Package on the way, drop me a line when it arrives please. If you neede silk for that rod just holler

Jeff

FisherCoug

Post by FisherCoug »

Hi Again,

Wow! Thank you all for the great info.
I suspected this was an Old Chubb but didn't want to unduly influence the experts.
Can anyone tell me some history around the ring guides? I am curious if they are an indicator of a certain age? (I realize I shouldn't use the word Indicator around this crowd). :P

I really want to get this rod out on the water. I have a trip to The McCloud River in October and hope to have it ready by then. I'll send out some pictures of the finished product if anyone is interested.

Thanks again,
Dave
Fish On!

Bamboocollector#1
Master Guide

Post by Bamboocollector#1 »

Dave,
Ring guides on high end rods usually, not always, ended around 1900. Most ended around 1920. Some into the early 1930's- light weight Montague trade rods.
I'd say your rod was pre-1910, but Rex is the expert on Montagues (they bought out Chubb).
Ed
Previously known as bamboocollector11

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”