Info. and advice needed on circa 1900 rod

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Info. and advice needed on circa 1900 rod

Post by kevinhaney1 »

I'm looking to see if anyone can provide the maker, approximate date, and value of this rod. From the fact that it has ring guides and from the reel seat, I'm guessing Chubb circa 1900? I also would appreciate advice on whether or not to get a historical restoration done on it, assuming that wouldn't cost more than the rod is worth. It needs to have the ferrules reset, the stripping guide and a few ring guides replace, some intermediate wrappings redone, and a varnish job. Don't know if I would ever use it, but it would be nice to be able to if I wanted. It is 9' and very light, probably for a 3wt or 4 wt line. Any information and opinions are appreciated!

Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Info. and advice needed on circa 1900 rod

Post by wrong66 »

Likely made by Montague. Perhaps Chubb, under Montague ownership. A complete restoration would cost more than the rod is worth.

Bamboocollector#1
Master Guide

Post by Bamboocollector#1 »

Montague +1
Previously known as bamboocollector11

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

+ 1 ?

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Means "another vote for Montague."

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

Kevin

I'm going to say that while it may have Chubb hardware, I don't think Chubb made it, and possibly not Montague either.
The slope of that taper in the grip area is unlike any I've seen by any maker, except a couple of the upstate NY makers, Buckingham being one who comes to mind though Buckingham was marking his at the time this was made.
The absence of a winding check is notable. Factories who actually produce those checks wouldn't forget to use them. Could it have simply loosened and slid off? Maybe. Zooming in I don't see evidence that it had one. Chubb's checks in that time period were fairly prominent.

Kevin, how many strips do you count immediately forward of the grip? The lighting is deceptive and almost suggests that it's a four stripper as well as lathe turned, though flats are evident further down. Could be just the light.
Ring guides may be 'different' but they're not the handicap they're made out to be on rods of this vintage. I would replace all missing guides with rings and forget about adding a different guide as a stripper. That would be superfluous on a rod of this vintage.
Interesting early rod, one bearing hallmarks of a shop-made item rather than a factory product.

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

Thanks for the information Jeff! I don't think it ever had a winding check. It is definitely a six strip rod. Any idea where i get get replacement ring guides that don't look new? What is your estimate on the date of the rod?

kilgore
Master Guide

Post by kilgore »

Had a rod that had a similar reel seat and grip and a lot of intermediates. It was very 'whippy' and, so, I think was made with Calcutta cane. I'm in the process of making a 7 1/2' 3/4 wt out of it. If you are planning to do some refurbishing at some time, these types of rods are great to practice on---and best of all then you don't need to make all of the intermediates!

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

Most fly rods have a ring of metal at the juncture of the grip and the decorative thread wound in front of it. Here's a winding check on a modern rod.

I recover ring guides from old rod sections. They vary in size. Silk thread should be used. It looks to me like Gudebrod #595 or equivalent would be a close match. If you don't have those on hand find a bamboo rod restorer.

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”